Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for approximately 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
Summary of the Position
The Manager of Member Engagement for New York City will work as part of the NYIC Advocacy Team to represent the NYIC across the five boroughs. The Manager will work closely with NYIC member organizations to grow the NYIC’s presence, deepen the engagement of our members and partners in advocacy initiatives, and expand the network of NYIC members and partners, in order to build the political power of immigrant communities, the organizations who serve them, and the NYIC. They will convene and mobilize member and partner organizations, lead NYIC advocacy efforts in New York City and serve as a link to key resources for member agencies.
- Lead efforts in engaging NYIC member organizations in New York City to play leadership roles in effective advocacy and organizing around campaigns
- Develop and strengthen relationships with NYIC member organizations and other immigrant-led and immigrant-serving organizations, as well as non-traditional partners and allies across New York City
- Regularly convene members and partners to discuss issues facing immigrant communities in New York City and New York State and plan strategies for collective action
- Coordinate and mobilize member agencies and coalition partners around local, state, and federal advocacy campaigns, as well as rapid response work as necessary
- Serve as a spokesperson for the NYIC in the region, including in the media and through public speaking and regular meetings with community leaders, policy makers, and thought leaders
- Plan and organize events including rallies, actions, convenings, trainings, and community forums
- Forge relationships with policy makers in New York City, including elected and other key government officials, and serve as the NYIC expert on the New York City landscape
- At least 3-5 years of relevant experience preferred, ideally with a New York City based organization
- Knowledge of and commitment to social justice and immigrant justice as well as New York City’s diverse immigrant communities
- Experience collaborating with diverse partners
- Experience with community organizing and/or policy advocacy
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong communication skills, and comfort with public speaking and meeting facilitation
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple tasks
- Proficiency in Spanish or another language spoken in immigrant communities in the region is strongly preferred
- Having a driver’s license is strongly preferred
- Good team player, comfortable taking initiative, and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances
- Availability to work evenings and weekends as needed
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and one brief writing sample to email@example.com. All emails must have “Membership Engagement and Advocacy New York CIty Manager” in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible. No phone calls or emails will be accepted around this position.