2301 5th Avenue, Suite 600
The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is a dynamic organization at the University of Washington. Its mission is to monitor global health conditions and health systems, as well as to evaluate interventions, initiatives, and reforms. It is building an audience of interested policymakers, researchers, donors, and other decision-makers in health who are interested in learning more about how to apply, use, and derive better evidence in global health.
IHME has established international scientific credibility for developing innovative multidisciplinary methods and producing cutting-edge results. IHME aims to be nimble and entrepreneurial in its work, taking on daunting analytic challenges in order to provide critical information that can help answer big-picture questions at the most local level possible. We accomplish these aims by working with a range of collaborators across the world. Currently, we engage with more than 3,095 collaborators from more than 140 countries.
IHME has an outstanding opportunity for a Development Manager on our Enterprise Data Management team. The primary purpose of the position is to lead the development and support of systems that facilitate intake, cataloging, and management of raw data. This includes development and improvement of the Global Health Data Exchange (GHDx), the world’s most comprehensive catalog of surveys, censuses, vital statistics, and other health-related data. The Development Manager is responsible for improving the efficiency and automation of IHME’s information management processes and working with API and tool developers to facilitate integration along the data pipeline. The position supervises Drupal and Internal Tool Developers as well as the Technical Content Manager and reports to the Director of Enterprise Data Management.
A successful candidate will be passionate about automating information management systems, experienced in the full software development lifecycle, and committed to leading an autonomous and agile development team in pursuit of turning raw data into global impact.
- Direct the ongoing technical development, improvement, and maintenance of the Global Health Data Exchange, IHME’s Drupal-based online catalog.
- Formulate and continuously improve tools and processes that enable research staff to locate, track, use, and reference data appropriately in analyses and publications.
- Devise and execute strategic plans for the creation, improvement, and maintenance of tools that automate data seeking, extraction, tracking, and publication of data used in a variety of analyses.
- Contribute to and/or lead the development of systems to track data provenance in a distributed computing environment.
- Identify, initiate, and manage projects to improve interface standardization at IHME, such as the deployment and configuration of APIs and other standardized inputs/outputs across the data management pipeline.
Strategic planning and management
· Identify and foster opportunities to advance individuals’ knowledge and abilities in order to strengthen team capacity for successfully providing services to a growing organization.
· Supervise the Drupal and Internal Tool Developers team, providing guidance, coaching, and support to team members.
· Ensure the Drupal and Internal Tool Developers team works effectively with other groups at IHME by establishing communication protocols as necessary, ensuring team members receive appropriate training, and discovering and resolving root causes of issues.
· Ensure the team delivers to the highest standards of the organization, promotes cross-organization teamwork, and achieves efficiency and a reputation for high quality service.
· Understand how data relate directly to the major research deliverables and objectives of the organization across multiple intellectual areas
· Assess and map project deliverables to resource needs, translate complex research objectives into practical deliverables and direct team members to execute on work plans accordingly.
· Perform additional duties as assigned that fall within the reasonable scope of this position as member of the Enterprise Data Management Team.
Master’s Degree in library science, computer science, or data management and five years’ related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Demonstrated ability to guide the development of information management systems to meet user needs
· Experience supervising and coaching staff, and directing, prioritizing, and monitoring projects and tasks
· Experience with Drupal or other Content Management System
· Experience with data and metadata standards and relational database development.
· Thorough understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (e.g. Requirements, Design, Development, Testing) and exposure to Agile or iterative SDLCs.
· Significant experience and firm understanding of API designs
· Adept at gathering requirements, managing stakeholder expectations, communicating with developers, and prioritizing development work to achieve project and organizational aims.
· Ability to pay attention to details and maintain a strategic vision while operating in a fast-paced, energetic environment.
· Experience with Natural Language Processing or other automated approaches to data classification
· Experience with Business Intelligence tools such as Tableau or Pentaho
Condition of employment:
- Appointment to this position is contingent upon obtaining satisfactory results from a criminal background check.
- Weekend and evening work sometimes required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply through UW Jobs: