13500 Southwest 72nd Avenue
About African Road
“The work of African Road is not charity or aid — it is empowerment for transformation, fueled by faith, friendship and stories of hope.”
African Road works in partnership with local Changemakers in East Africa who are committed to healthy, thriving and economically empowered communities.
African Road values community driven development and invests in local leaders to facilitate transformational, grassroots change. This work takes many forms, all led by East African Changemaker leaders. Examples include, but are not limited to: training and funding for Rwandan widows who are survivors of genocide to start and expand their own businesses; helping a region’s most marginalized tribal group to gain citizenship in Burundi; and providing business start-up funding to bring sustainable sources of income to girls escaping gender-based violence in Tanzania, and for genocide orphans in Rwanda.
Relationships are the heart of African Road. The organization is committed to respectful friendship with local Changemakers and their communities. African Road values and travels the long road of learning, listening and walking together. Concurrently, African Road invests in creating community on this side of the world, offering opportunities for learning, engagement and transformation. African Road builds bridges of meaningful connection for positive change through: funding, learning through travel, access to first-hand reports and data, and opportunities to become a champion for East African communities and partners. Learn more about African Road’s impact at AfricanRoad.org.
The Operations Manager is a key leadership role responsible for the day-to-day management of African Road. Working closely with the Executive Director, the Operations Manager performs functions integral to the nonprofit’s continued success, and interfaces with all aspects of operations from finance and fundraising, to human resources and administration. The Operations Manager also supports long-term visioning and effective oversight of the organization’s resources including human, social, and financial capital – to help African Road continue to thrive.
This position is an opportunity to strengthen a growing nonprofit while making a measurable impact on the quality of life for those in Eastern Africa. This position also helps facilitate opportunities for engagement for supporters based in North America. The ideal candidate has experience working with nonprofits or multi-faceted organizations, and feels a connection to African Road’s work to provide respectful, practical help to community leaders in East Africa through financial support and collaborative project development.
We are seeking a candidate with a growth mindset. This candidate will be one who can evolve with the organization, and who has the potential to problem solve, form teams, create and implement new procedures and provide oversight for day to day operations. The ideal candidate brings a higher level of efficiency and effectiveness to all aspects of the organization.
This job is for you if:
- You have a passion for African Road’s mission and are willing to travel to East Africa approximately once a year.
- You are a systems-minded thinker and enjoy creating policies and procedures to streamline organizational operations.
- You can think big while foreseeing potential difficulties in the details and proposing solutions to mitigate those hurdles.
- You engage and interact with professionalism, humility, warmth and care, and feel comfortable having patient, thoughtful communication with a broad array of people.
- You have excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- You value time management and keeping projects on schedule.
- You have experience with database management. Experience with nonprofit administration systems including those pertaining to donor relations, program evaluations, financial reporting, and marketing campaigns are a plus.
- You are proficient with platforms such as Donor Perfect; Google Drive; and MS Office products.
- You have strong working knowledge of general bookkeeping and Quickbooks.
- You are able to exercise positive leadership and take initiative yet you operate with a willingness to collaborate.
- You value working as a member of a team.
- You value learning and are not afraid to ask questions.
- You are flexible and agile in dealing with people and in the management of multiple tasks.
- You respect people from a wide range of religious traditions and faith practices, political and philosophical beliefs, and affiliations and backgrounds.
- You demonstrate timeliness and accuracy, and operate with integrity.
- You are eager for the chance to support campaigns and programs to further African Road’s mission.
- Directly supports the Executive Director by assisting with travel coordination for Learning Trips to partner communities in East Africa.
- Handles money wire transfers to support activities abroad.
- Gathers information as needed from Changemaker partners.
- Keep grant and project schedules and updates current, and track grant funding disbursements.
- Track and gather information from a variety of partners and prepare reports for multiple audiences as needed.
- Serves as the first point of contact for African Road’s U.S. community comprised of partners, donors, funders, volunteers and more.
- Completes day-to-day administrative tasks such as filing, processing mail, answering calls, and other functions necessary for daily operations.
- Prepares reports for the Executive Director and, on occasion, the Board of Directors.
- Creates and updates internal documents including process manuals, calendars, schedules, and reports.
- Ensures personnel and financial policies and procedures are current, comply with Federal and State regulations, and are properly implemented.
- Develops and maintains systems and policies that organize corporate programs and data.
- Interfaces with volunteers and provides coordination for volunteer engagement periodically.
Financial and Fund Development:
- Digests and extracts program data for use in donor communications.
- Oversees the implementation of donor mailing campaigns, thank you letters, and other donor engagement.
- Completes basic financial management duties including interfacing with a CPA and bookkeeper; preparing standard year-to-date financial reports and projections for the board of directors; and supporting the annual budget-planning process.
- Prepares financial reports for internal and external audiences.
- Enters donor data in the Donor Perfect database to ensure accurate and timely gift processing and with a value of building connection and creating historical records of donor relationships.
- Assists with coordinating service projects, events, and fundraisers.
- Other tasks as assigned; the above list is non-exhaustive.
- 3 + years of successful work experience performing many of the functions outlined in this position description.
- Working knowledge of basic bookkeeping principles, proficient in QuickBooks.
- Passion for being part of a team working in relationship with East African leaders who are creating structural and systemic change.
- Proficient with Mac and PC, Google Drive, Office Suite, Excel. social media, project management systems and email.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Superb written and verbal communication.
- Personable attitude and authentic integrity.
- Working knowledge of the grant writing and reporting process a plus.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
African Road is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, sex, color, race, creed, national origin, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political belief, disability or any other legally protected status. We are committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, African Road will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the application, interview, and hiring process. Alternative formats of this application are available upon request.
Health coverage, generous vacation package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Thank you for your interest!
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter that specifically outlines your experience relevant to this position. Please send application materials in a single PDF via email to HR@AfricanRoad.org by 5:00 pm PST on November 12, 2018.