647 Fulton Street
Supervisor: Director of Education
Exempt/Non Exempt: Exempt
BRIC is the leading presenter of free cultural programming in Brooklyn, and one of the largest in New York City. We present and incubate work by artists and media-makers who reflect the diversity that surrounds us. Some of BRIC’s most acclaimed programs include the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival in Prospect Park; path-breaking media initiatives, including the newly-renamed BRIC TV; a renowned contemporary art exhibition series and an expansive education program reaching thousands of students each year. BRIC offers programs at our main venue, BRIC Arts | Media House, and throughout Brooklyn. BRIC programs reach hundreds of thousands of people each year.
BRIC’s education programs are committed to directly engaging our Brooklyn community in contemporary art, and media. Through school residencies, internship programs, and professional development opportunities, BRIC Education provides access to the experience of the creative process and celebrates the artistic spirit.
BRIC has offered arts education programs in New York City Schools since 1984. Currently, BRIC offers visual arts and media residencies in approximately 40 schools and community centers, both during the school day and as part of OST offerings (CASA and Anti-Gun Violence initiatives). BRIC also offers youth and family programming at our Downtown Brooklyn hub, BRIC House, and is developing programs to serve youth in the criminal justice system, through alternatives to incarceration or reentry programs.
Purpose of Position:
The position of Manager, Youth Media Education is part of BRIC’s Education team of four including the Director of Education, the Manager, Contemporary Art Education, and the Administrative Manager, Education. The position reports to the Director of Education, and manages BRIC’s youth media education program within Brooklyn public schools.
· Outreach to schools to promote and plan curriculum for school-based media education residencies, working collaboratively with school staff and Teaching Artists.
· Manage the selection and placement of Teaching Artists.
· Oversee progress and assessment of residencies by visiting schools, communicating with school representatives and Teaching Artists, and collecting curriculum, evaluations, and documentation.
· Manage the purchasing, delivery and tracking of supplies and equipment for school residencies.
· Support, supervise and evaluate Teaching Artists; including payroll sign-off and occasionally substitute or cover for TA absence.
· Assist Teaching Artists in post-production of student video to produce final materials; work with marketing and technical staff to format content for distribution.
· Organize the recruitment of participants for afterschool residencies, and planning culminating events at schools.
· Prepare program data, financials, written descriptions, photo and/or video documentation and summaries for grant applications and annual reporting.
· Assist in preparing, developing and presenting professional development sessions for Teaching Artists and classroom teachers.
· Oversee Youth Media Festival by working closely with Teaching Artist assigned to program and facilitating organizational components of related internship and public programs.
· Advance departmental strategic goals and initiatives.
· Assist Director of Education in collaborating with BRIC wide-staff to plan and implement other youth initiatives, including BRIC House visits, internship programs, and youth content presented in media, performing arts and contemporary art across disciplines.
· Bachelors of Fine Arts or BA equivalent in a related field.
· Strong skills in video production and post-production, experience with iStop Motion and Adobe Premier, additional experience with Adobe After Effects and Photoshop a plus.
· At least two years of experience designing curriculum and teaching video production, editing and animation.
· Strong organizational and managerial skills.
· Excellent writing skills, communication and people skills.
· Familiarity with NYC Department of Education, previous experience with supporting partnerships with schools and other CBOs/ community partners
· Flexible team player.
Salary and Schedule
Full-time, Monday-Friday; occasional Saturdays with full benefits package. Annual salary $50-$53K based on experience.
This is a full-time salaried position with a full benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Manager, Youth Media Education. Please write a brief cover letter in the body of the email and attach resume. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
BRIC is an equal opportunity employer.