Details: Salary negotiable and commensurate with experience
BalletX seeks a strategic and creative Development Manager for Annual & Institutional Giving to manage the company’s short- and long-term fundraising goals and objectives. Founded on a mission to produce original choreography that expands the vocabulary of classical dance for all audiences, BalletX unites distinguished choreographers with an outstanding company of world-class dancers to forge new works of athleticism, emotion, and grace. We produce three series each season as Resident Dance Company of The Wilma Theater, as well as a wide array of educational programming based in Philadelphia public schools and in our home studio, the Center for World Premiere Choreography at 19th and Washington Avenue.
Alongside the Artistic & Executive Director and Development Associate for Donor Relations, the Development Manager implements BalletX’s fundraising program including a robust and growing annual fund program and a full complement of institutional support and events. The Development Manager works closely across departments to expand and diversify the organization’s channels of support leading into each season, and reports directly to the Artistic & Executive Director.
Our ideal candidate will be positive and upbeat – a “glass half full” kind of person! They will be a goal-driven, passionate, and highly professional advocate for dance and the arts, with the ability to tackle the tiny details of fundraising administration while still seeing the bigger picture. They will be hardworking, creative, and dedicated to investing time and energy into growing with an organization that deeply cares about both the arts and our beautiful, diverse community. And they will be an excellent strategic thinker, communicator, and team player, able to work smoothly and efficiently across departments with our eight-person administrative team.
The candidate must have a desire to work in a deadline-driven, proactive, and collaborative manner in support of the overall goals of BalletX. Candidate must be highly-organized and a team player who wants to enjoy work and colleagues, and they must understand and respect the variety of influences on philanthropic decision-making.
Role and Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Manages the development, implementation, and evaluation of BalletX’s strategies for non-major gift contributed income, including annual fund, government, and foundation support.
- Builds and maintains meaningful relationships with individuals, corporations, and foundations. Plans, coordinates, analyzes, and reports on a calendar of activities, appeals, and events to achieve strategic and revenue-generating goals.
- In conjunction with the Artistic & Executive Director, oversees BalletX’s Annual Fund donors (defined as $1-$2,499/year), including solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship. Builds meaningful relationships with Annual Fund donors, with the intent to increase giving.
- Drafts and coordinates annual appeals and campaigns, in conjunction with Development Associate for Donor Relations and Marketing department.
- With the Development Associate for Donor Relations, plans and facilitates donor-related events.
- With Associate Director of Operations, oversees management of the donor database, including policies and procedures for research, data retention, and reporting. Ensures robust data management systems to support growth.
- Manages the BalletX Grants calendar and coordinates the design, drafting, and submission of foundation and government proposals with department staff and external Grant Writer.
- Oversees department staff and external Grant Writer in identification and research of grantor prospects.
- Prepares grant budgets in conjunction with Associate Director of Operations and Artistic & Executive Director.
- Manages institutional benefits and stewardship, and oversees grant compliance and reporting.
- With the Development Associate for Donor Relations, plans and coordinates BalletX’s annual fundraiser, The Premier Party.
- Manages Auction solicitation and presentation, and manages follow-up with winning donors.
- Implements all communications with event attendees, including pre- and post-event emails, Sponsorship mailing, Save the Date, and Invitation.
Fundraising Administration & Supervision
- Assists the Development Associate for Donor Relations, Associate Director of Operations, and Artistic & Executive Director to develop and maintain metrics for monitoring progress against departmental goals.
- Assists the Development Associate for Donor Relations in updating and reporting on the departmental budget.
- Provides support to the Development Committee of the Board. Attends Board meetings and routinely reports on BalletX fundraising strategies.
- Represents BalletX to external constituencies, including Board Members, volunteers, donors, and vendors.
- Bachelor’s degree and 2—3 years of experience in development or a comparable field
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and strong planning, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Detail-oriented, with demonstrated ability to see the larger organizational picture
- Ability to work with donors, committee members, and volunteer leadership with tact and diplomacy
- Sound ability to development and adhere to project schedules
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to proactive identification of problems and follow up to ensure solutions
- Excellent computer and phone skills are required; must be competent in Microsoft Office; skill related to relational databases is preferable but not required
- Ability to work some evening and weekend hours as necessary for events and performances
Hire is eligible for health insurance benefits
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please submit the following materials to Megan O'Donnell at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter briefly summarizing your fundraising accomplishments
- Your professional resume
- Two related writing samples
BalletX is an equal opportunity employer. This position is full-time with benefits; salary is commensurate with experience.