Details: Commensurate with experience
99 Madison Ave
Job Title: Director of Development and Partnerships
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Location: New York, NY
citiesRISE is a new multi-stakeholder initiative formed as a response to the concern that, despite the existence of effective models, existing fragmented and small-scale efforts fail to address the rising tide of mental health problems globally. The mission of citiesRISE is to mobilize leadership, resources and practical action by scaling evidence-based approaches and promising models through a network of cities to achieve significant, measurable improvements in mental health, especially among young people within underserved populations, through proven methodologies of collective action and a network approach.
citiesRISE was founded in 2016 and is now positioned to dramatically deepen its impact through the expansion of current initiatives and the launch of new global programming to bring meaningful and sustainable progress to communities across the world. citiesRISE has established substantive partnerships to catalyze collective actions across sectors to fundamentally transform the story of mental health around the world. The significance of citiesRISE was recently featured at the World Economic Forum’s 2018 Annual Meeting. Learn more at cities-rise.org.
The Director of Development and Partnerships will spearhead a mindful and mission-oriented campaign to mobilize resources for the platform and its partners. The Director will develop new strategies and build multi-sectoral partnerships at the local, national and international levels to support the 2030 goal of the citiesRISE platform. The Director will diversify citiesRISE’s funding while developing meaningful partnerships with the philanthropic, donor and investment communities. The successful candidate will play a key role on the citiesRISE leadership and strategy team and actively manage day-to-day efforts and relationships with high-profile partners and projects. The Director will be responsible for engaging various donor and philanthropic communities such as large independent foundations, corporate, and individual donors, as well as new financing mechanisms, and successfully generate resources that help communities and cities around the world become healthier, stronger and more resilient.
This position reports to the CEO.
The Director will play a crucial role externally in the generation of sustainable funding and partnerships while internally liaising across all citiesRISE projects to actively ensure projects are effectively funded. This role is ideal for the candidate who can navigate the mobilization of funding and new types of financing for our partners and city/community sites along with a big bold vision for the field and overall platform.
● Developing and executing a strategy for cultivating, collaborating, and generating support from the philanthropic, donor and investment communities in partnership with the CEO and other stakeholders.
● Creating and deploying a relationship management system to ensure thoughtful engagement of partners including how we share information, align resources, exchange insights, and co-invest in opportunities.
● Developing and managing relationships with potential funders based on research and strategic thinking. Ensuring robust pipeline of funders are in place and managed proactively. Stewarding funders through their life cycle with citiesRISE, ensuring a positive experience at all stages.
● Supporting and determining how best to utilize the CEO, Steering Committee, citiesRISE network, and other stakeholders to drive support and ensure alignment of all outreach. This will include close collaboration with the citiesRISE team and its partners to maximize the value of partnerships and ensure the mission of the organization is thoughtfully represented and realized.
● Preparing and briefing leaders and stakeholders to participate in activities that drive support. Collaborate with team to ensure necessary collateral and communications support to the partnership development function. This includes leadership on the process of developing presentations, and proposals for funders and other stakeholders for the facilitation of joint partnerships, alliances, and multi-stakeholder events to amplify support.
● Coordinating and mobilizing relationships across sectors at the city, national and international levels to develop long-term financing plans and public-private partnerships.
● Designing and carefully overseeing donor diligence, reporting, and evaluation efforts. Ensuring compliance with grant maker or sponsor agreements, including the use of analytical tools and knowledge products.
● Facilitating efforts for joint partnerships, alliances and multi-stakeholder events to amplify support. Collaborating with other partners and cities/communities to pool resources and investment.
citiesRISE is looking for candidates who demonstrate a passion for breaking new ground to lead social change. Beyond that, we are seeking a candidate who has proven experience in mobilizing partnerships and resources and a demonstrated ability to both lead and build the capabilities of a platform poised to drive transformative change in the world.
● 15 years of professional experience, including a minimum of seven years originating, building and cultivating partnerships, fundraising and donor management for nonprofit, corporate, foundation, NGO, government entities or similar organizations.
● Authentic connection to the mission of building healthy communities and a passion for the work of citiesRISE.
● Experience in related fields such as global mental health, urban development, collective action, systems change, youth engagement, youth leadership, health system strengthening, technology innovation, post-conflict settings, poverty and vulnerability.
● Proven strategic thinker with experience designing and planning for major fund development.
● Strong ability to drive progress, have vision, promote innovation, and display ownership under ambiguous and dynamic conditions.
● Exceptional presentation, cultivation, persuasion and negotiation skills; expertise in building long-term relationships and value.
● Proven experience managing multi-lateral, inter-cultural donor programs and navigating complex sets of interests. Strong ethical standards.
● Experience engaging with senior-level actors and organizations across sectors. Strong political acumen and experience in influencing philanthropic and non-profit leaders, senior officials, private sector executives, and individual investors.
● Track record of developing deep funder relationships, including prospecting, cultivation, and ongoing management and securing seven plus figure gifts and grants.
● Excellent organizational skills with ability to deliver results in fast-paced, dynamic environment.
● Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
Compensation and Benefits
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected initiative. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. Compensation and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
citiesRISE provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Individuals from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please have in the subject line of your email 'Director of Development and Partnerships'.
No phone calls, please.