New Jersey Citizen Action (NJCA) is a statewide advocacy and direct service organization that fights for social, racial and economic justice and promotes the financial security of low and moderate income families through the provision of free direct services.
The Director of Empowerment will be responsible for the development, implementation, compliance and completion of all grants and activities related to our direct service work. S/he will oversee a team focused on serving over 20,000 New Jerseyans annually. Our direct service programs currently include health care ACA enrollment, housing counseling, foreclosure prevention, financial education, housing discrimination, oil cooperative, financial coaching, eviction prevention and tax preparation.
- Recruit, orient, and supervise empowerment program staff.
- Develop, implement and monitor sustainability and planning activities for all programs
- Ensure all goals and objectives are met for each program/grant
- Provide leadership and facilitate interdepartmental communication and information sharing to develop a cohesive work environment
- Integrate empowerment programs with organization’s advocacy program
- Develop and monitor program budgets and deliverables to comply with grants
- Assist managers to prepare timely program and financial reports for funders
- Develop and monitor departmental budget in cooperation with Finance Department
- Participate in community coalitions and actively promote NJCA’s programs in the community to increase visibility and expand partner network
- Participate in senior management meetings with the Executive Director and others
- Raise foundation, corporate and other funding in partnership with the Director of Development
- Evaluate existing programs and opportunities to expand or develop new programs
- College degree from an accredited university, preferred
- At least ten years’ experience overseeing programs in the field of direct service
- Strong leadership, strategic planning, management and supervisory skills; achieving results and meeting deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to act as a spokesperson for programs at public events and with media reporters.
- Good knowledge of monitoring and evaluation methodology and analysis
- Demonstrated ability to communicate detailed program narrative and financial related information in a clear, concise manner, both orally and in writing
- Advanced computer skills including word processing, database systems, desktop publishing, excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of state, county and federal programs that support low and moderate income
- Bilingual a plus
- Position based in our Highland Park office, currently operating remotely.
NJCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Women and people of color are encouraged to apply! New Jersey Citizen Action is building a diverse leadership team which will include this position.