Criminal Defense Practice Paralegal II (Manhattan)
- Job posted by The Legal Aid Society - New York City
The Criminal Defense Practice has an immediate opening for a full-time Paralegal II to work in the Manhattan trial office and as an alternate at the Manhattan Detention Center to provide client services and outreach.
* Research, digest, and outline case records (e.g. medical, criminal history, schools, etc.)
* Interview and assess client requests for services and refer clients to outside agencies
* Prepare written reports summarizing information compiled
* Obtain and review client records and determine course of action
* Handle client and agency correspondence in connection with cases
* Assist clients in preparing legal documents, forms, and releases
* Liaise between attorneys and their clients
* Calculate jail time credits by analyzing correctional, court, and Legal Aid records; take steps to correct errors; and secure missing time due to clients
* Other duties as assigned
* Perform functions of Manhattan Detention Center Paralegal II as needed
Manhattan - Criminal Defense Practice Office
* Paralegal certificate from ABA accredited paralegal program, Bachelor's degree in relevant field, or satisfactory completion of a comprehensive in-house training course appropriate to practice area
* Experience in and/or commitment to advocacy on behalf of low-income people is strongly desired
* Excellent writing, verbal, organizational, and computer skills
* Proficiency in legal research
* Ability to work in a team setting as well as independently
* Ability to multi-task
* Some knowledge of New York criminal law and criminal procedures
* Proficiency in languages other than English is desirable, but not required
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email email@example.com.
Minimum Education Required