1916 Park Avenue
When students enter HCZ Promise Academy Charter Schools, we make a promise to help each and every one get to and through college. Everything we give our students—from world-class instruction and exceptional extracurricular activities to social emotional support and healthy meals—is aimed at fulfilling that promise. Our schools have a longer school day and year, helping us keep our kids safe and engaged, ensure their success in core subject areas, and give them an immersive, well-balanced education that includes exposure to the arts, daily physical activity, and field trips to museums, performances, sporting events and, of course, college campuses.
In addition, our Promise curriculum includes grade-appropriate character education, helping students at every level build crucial non-cognitive skills such as resilience, grit, and curiosity. We also provide on-site medical, dental, and psychological services, as well as a healthy, freshly made breakfast, lunch and snack each day. Plus, the vast majority of our students participate in our after-school programs, where they receive extensive academic support and engage in a wide range of recreation and enrichment activities.
Not only do our students receive a high-quality, standards-based education, but they and their families also have access to HCZ’s comprehensive network of supports, including counseling, benefits assistance, and other social services.
We are seeking an ELA Coach. The ideal candidate will have a passion for the mission of HCZ Promise Academy, a demonstrated track record of success moving students and using data to inform the big picture, and an understanding and respect for the families and community of Central Harlem.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This list is intended only to illustrate the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Regularly observe all ELA teachers and meet with them to provide feedback
- Develop and execute professional development for ELA faculty based on teachers’ needs, including peer observations
- Participate fully in professional development for school faculty, including peer observations, professional research and reading, reading inquiry sessions
- Support ELA teachers in developing curricula, syllabi, and assessments
- Facilitate weekly department meetings designed to support student development of essential skills and curricular alignment with Common Core State Standards
- Communicate regularly with classroom teachers to reflect upon student progress, assessments, and direction for further instruction
- Analyze standardized test results and create and share strategies for raising test scores
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualification, Skill and Knowledge Requirements
- Deep experience in the design, integration, implementation and management of a school including knowledge of best practices in ELA curriculum, instructional practices, and professional development
- Has a firm knowledge of research of best practices and a field-wide view of exemplar resources to leverage
- Excellent coaching skills and demonstrated track record of having improved teachers’ performance over time through coaching relationship
- Respond promptly to request; provide needed direction, assistance, training, materials and resources.
- Possesses highly effective project management skills to successfully lead numerous streams of work in a high paced demanding environment
- Master Degree in Education required
We offer competitive salaries with performance-based bonuses, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered, interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume HERE. No telephone inquiries or recruiters please. Replies will only be sent to qualified applicants. HCZ is an EOE