Details: Starting at $36,000 commensurate with experience
7 Winthrop Square
DAYS/HOURS: Mon – Fri, 8:30 AM- 4:30 PM
REPORTS TO: Chris Neighbours, Supervisor
UNIT: Eastern Region Legal Intake (ERLI) of the Volunteer Lawyers Project
LOCATION: 197 Friend St., 9th Floor, Boston, MA 02114
SALARY: Starting at $36,000 commensurate with experience
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Volunteer Lawyers Project of the Boston Bar Association (VLP) provides free civil legal assistance to low-income residents of Greater Boston, primarily through the pro bono services of private attorneys. Eastern Region Legal Intake is a project of VLP that provides callers with information, advice, and referrals; screens clients for legal aid eligibility; and conducts intakes in legal aid priority cases.
This is a permanent, full-time staff position on the intake phone line.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Bilingual; fluent in English and Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin or Cantonese.
- Prior experience working in legal aid, the court system or a law office that handles civil cases.
- Prior experience with an organization serving low-income populations.
- Prior experience working with victims of crimes.
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of MA laws surrounding Housing, Family Law, Benefits and Consumer
- Heavy use of computer and phone
- Ability to effectively and efficiently communicate over the phone
- Ability to learn and retain information quickly
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to learn and use case management and phone systems
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Conduct intakes and provide legal information and referrals over the intake line.
- Coordinate and manage Advice Panels (scheduling volunteer attorneys to call and advise clients)
- Staff VLP court based clinics
- Update changes to Intake Priorities and Questionnaires
- Conduct community outreach
- General administrative work such as data gathering, scanning and filing
- Other duties as determined by Program needs
Please submit resume and cover letter here by September 14, 2018.
Volunteer Lawyers Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Competitive benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Requirement: Bilingual; fluent in English and Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin or Cantonese.
Minimum Education Required