It’s hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet – around one in three of the world’s population. Every two minutes a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation across the various countries where we work.
WaterAid Mozambique is looking for a Head of Programmes, Policy and Governanceto play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone in Mozambique by 2030.
Reporting to the Country Director, the purpose of the role is to:
- Provide strategic programme leadership, development, management and delivery of sustainable, integrated Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programmes through promotion of quality-driven programming.
- Lead on programme design, development, effectiveness, quality assurance, learning and impact.
- Lead on the design and delivery of governance, advocacy and policy influencing work and ensuring this is integrated across all programmes at national & district level.
- Build high performing integrated programme and policy teams including partnerships to design & implement innovative programmes with strong advocacy and influencing components that are in line with the Country Strategy.
- The role will require frequent travel in-country and some regional and international travel.
To be successful, you’ll need:
- A Master’s Degree or equivalent in Water Resources, Engineering, Development Management, Social Sciences, Environmental Health or Public Health.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of professional experience and at least five (5) of which must be in a senior management position in a reputable international or national Non-Governmental Organization (NGO).
- At least five (5) years of proven experience of development and management of programmes that deliver transformational change. Experience in the WASH sector preferred.
- Proven experience of governance, advocacy and policy influencing work.
- Excellent relationship management and negotiating skills, and building strong working relationships with stakeholders at various levels
- Ability to lead and motivate a multi-disciplinary team of professionals
- A good knowledge of the policies and development strategies of the Government of Mozambique, especially with regard to WASH is preferred.
- Fluency in Portuguese and English.
Visit our global WaterAid website to see the full job description of the role:
If you are eligible for and interested in the role, please send your CV by 23 November 2018, with a cover letter, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org using “Head of Programmes, Policy and Governance” as the subject. Please provide details of at least three relevant references and clearly indicate details of your current remuneration package.
Please note: Although Mozambique Nationals or Permanent residents are preferred for the role, we are open to suitably experienced candidates from other nationalities, provided they are able to communicate in English and Portugese.
WaterAid is an equal opportunity organization and positively encourages applications from qualified and eligible individuals regardless of race, physical condition, age, sexual orientation, gender, religion or belief, marital status or pregnancy and maternity. If you don’t receive a response two weeks after the closure of applications, please consider yourself unsuccessful.
Minimum Education Required