Disaster Education Program Coordinator (half-time)
- Job posted by New Jersey Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster
Details: Competitive wage commensurate with experience. Benefits are not available (part-time).
Position Description: Disaster Education Program Coordinator
Status: Part-time, Non-Exempt (Hourly), one-year position (approximately 20 hours/week)
Reports To: Executive Director / Program Manager
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Disaster Education Program Coordinator will coordinate the program design and investigate evidence-based interventions to engage school-aged children and youth in disaster preparedness and readiness in accordance with the Corporation for National Community Service (CNCS) Planning Grant objectives and timeline. This will involve exploring and customizing best practices and proven programs with a primary objective of developing an AmeriCorps service project to implement proven strategies that will increase preparedness and improve readiness in New Jersey. Specifically, this involves coordinating the development of a continuum of disaster preparedness education programs beginning in grade school and culminating in high school. Utilizing proven practices and resources identified through FEMA’s Youth Preparedness Council, the Disaster Education Program Coordinator will work in partnership with the Program Manager and key stakeholders to develop a platform that:
- Elevates the importance of youth preparedness learning programs in NJ.
- Evaluates the quality and effectiveness of existing and new youth preparedness programs.
- Supports the implementation of youth preparedness learning programs.
- Creates positive relationships between youth and the first responder community.
- Introduces youth to potential careeropportunities in the growing field of Emergency Management.
- Links youth preparedness to family and community participation, especially in communities where English may not be the first language spoken (or understood) among adults.
- Makes school preparedness a key component of youth preparedness.
- Builds and strengthens productive partnerships among stakeholder agencies and organizations.
- Identifies opportunities to embed youth preparedness in youth culture.
- Cultivates and strengthens community investment and engagementamong NJ youth.
- Designs a sustainable and replicable model for developing and delivering programming.
1. Coordinate communication and convening of Disaster Education Stakeholder Consortium (DESC), which includes representatives from FEMA, NJ Department of Education, NJ Department of Human Services, NJ Department of Children and Families, NJ Office of Emergency Management, Rutgers University, Save the Children, The Salvation Army and Volunteer Center of South Jersey.
a. Organize monthly meetings.
b. Maintain regular correspondence including meeting minutes, updates, and curriculum proposals.
2. Research potential evidence-based intervention program models and work with DESC to identify modifications and/or strategies for implementation and adoption in NJ.
a. Identify and propose existing programs and models to DESC for review and adoption.
b. In coordination with Program Manager and DESC, develop modifications to meet project objectives.
3. Assist in identifying and securing program support for Planning Grant and future AmeriCorps service project.
a. Research and identify potential funders to support the match for the Planning Grant and AmeriCorps Member project.
b. Assist in grant applications as needed.
4. Develop a successful foundation for a future AmeriCorps service project to execute the program vision developed during the planning grant period.
a. Research costs and non-covered expenses associated with operating an AmeriCorps Member project.
b. Identify or develop appropriate evaluation tools and resources to record metrics and measure success related to increasing preparedness and improving readiness.
c. Work with the NJ Department of Education and other stakeholders to identify potential school districts and community programs to target in the first year of the AmeriCorps Member project.
d. Strategically identify potential locations for AmeriCorps members to be placed, based on above.
e. Explore community engagement, train-the-trainer and other strategies to build into the AmeriCorps Member project plan design in order to insure a sustainable, locally-driven model.
f. Identify potential site locations and supervisors (sub-awardees) to support the AmeriCorps Member project.
5. Assist in developing an AmeriCorps Member project plan proposal and develop the resources and systems required for successful implementation.
a. Develop detailed descriptions of AmeriCorps Member responsibilities.
b. Develop AmeriCorps supervisory descriptions and expectations.
c. Develop a recruitment and selection strategy for AmeriCorps Members in anticipation of successful application.
d. Implement recruitment strategy in accordance with timeline permitted by New Jersey State Service Commission.
a. Take and distribute minutes for meetings.
b. Promote preparedness and project promotion on social media accounts.
c. Document and track information required for CNCS reporting.
d. Other duties as assigned.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to solve problems and think creatively
- Highly organized and efficient
- Self-directed with sharp attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft software programs (i.e., Excel and Word), internet usage and social media
Qualifications / Requirements:
- College degree or equivalent experience.
- Licensed driver with access to a reliable vehicle for travel throughout NJ.
- Ability to work from home/remotely with access to internet, computer and a scanner/printer.
- Prior experience in disaster Education Program, planning, response or recovery is desired.
- Prior service experience with CNCS programs is desired.
- This is a grant-funded position. Specific duties may vary dependent upon the funding source.
- The specific terms including hours, rate and other relevant information will be communicated in writing.
- Location is flexible with the opportunity for working remotely within NJ.
- Position requires travel to locations throughout NJ which will be reimbursed at the prevailing federal rate.
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent oral and written English language proficiency,
Minimum Education Required