Details: $4,000 - $5,500 per month based on experience
Mothers Out Front is seeking a talented and passionate organizer to recruit and mobilize a significant presence of mothers and kids at the events surrounding Governor Jerry Brown’s September 12th-14th Global Climate Action Summit, including the September 8th Rise for Climate, Jobs & Justice actions in San Francisco.
Mothers Out Front has joined hundreds of allied organizations in the Brown’s Last Chance campaign to call upon Governor Brown to put the health and well-being of Californians and communities around the world before dirty oil company profits. These rallies and the Global Climate Action Summit (GCAS) in San Francisco will be key moments in the climate change movement in the US, with major decision-makers, businesses, scientists, and nonprofits from around the world gathering to advance bold climate action. As the Climate Action Organizer, you will ensure that a large and diverse groups of mothers and kids come out in force for the events, demonstrating what a strategic voice mothers are in getting decision-makers to work for a swift, complete, and just transition off fossil fuels to clean, renewable energy. You will help enable the participation of communities who suffer the injustices of climate change and fossil fuel use today and have been historically marginalized.
This is a temporary full-time position that will run from June through October 2018 and could evolve into a permanent community organizer position.
About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work, by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level. We are a volunteer-led, national organization that is growing quickly. Founded in 2013, this year’s operating budget is $3.7m. We currently have staff currently working in eight states and are a fast growing organization with no plans of slowing down.
Your responsibilities will include working closely with the Expansion Organizer to:
- Engage and recruit a diverse Mobilization Team of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers in the region
- who are passionate about climate justice and committed to organizing mothers around the summit.
- Work with the Mobilization Team to amplify mothers’ voices and participation in Brown’s Last Chance and:
- Build support toward securing a meeting with Governor Brown (including publicly asking him) to discuss why the campaign asks matter to mothers and to communicate the huge turnout of mothers and kids expected at the September 8th event;
- Generate media coverage, by getting letters to the editors (written by moms) and Op-Eds published and securing TV and radio interviews. Engage in a coordinated social media campaign with our allies, including Twitter Storms.
- Work with existing members to organize house parties and other events in the San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento during June, July, and August 2018, inspiring attendees to commit to hosting their own house parties and attend the Rise for Climate Action events on September 8th.
- Organize continued engagement of house party attendees and other recruits, ensuring that there is a significant presence of mothers at Brown’s Last Chance events, including the Rise for Climate, Jobs & Justice march on September 8th and events surrounding that Global Climate Summit September 12th-14th.
- Schedule and deliver Mothers Out Front trainings for new and existing members, including public narrative and one-to-one meetings.
- Work closely with new members around recruitment pushes, including attending events, organizing phone banks, digital outreach, and more.
- Coordinate Mothers Out Front’s presence at the events to ensure our voice is strategic and powerful.
- Coordinate with allies to ensure Mothers Out Front’s involvement in Climate Summit and Brown’s Last Chance Campaign is additive to and synergistic with allies’ campaigns.
What we’re looking for in you:
- A minimum of one year of experience in grassroots organizing.
- Demonstrated experience around engaging and mobilizing volunteers, organizing events, managing projects.
- Great relational skills. Experienced at active and reflective listening.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, especially ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds. It’s also helpful if you have experience working with people from different religious, education, generational, and gender identity backgrounds as well as those with physical disabilities and from the LGBTQI community.
- Strong administrative skills, including experience with and/or an aptitude for working with databases.
- Highly creative and flexible. Ability to be adaptable and thrive in fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends as needed.
- An appreciation for reflection and continuous learning.
- Passion for social change, climate justice and addressing climate change.
- An excitement for developing the leadership of mothers in the climate change movement.
- Media and campaign experience a plus.
Details: You should be based in the San Francisco Bay Area or Sacramento and will work from a home office. This a temporary, full-time position with a monthly salary range of $4,000 - $5,500 based on experience. You will report to the Expansion Organizer.
We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
Level of Language Proficiency
- Fluency in Spanish, Vietnamese, or Chinese highly desirable.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: Please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title of the role in the subject line. Please include where you heard about the position. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Mothers Out Front is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQI community, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.