About the European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 350 partner organisations to carry out activities that contribute to the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero emissions economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
As towns, cities and countries around the world declare climate emergencies, seas rise, forests burn, glaciers melt, increasing numbers of people take to the streets demanding urgent action and our societies begin to wake up to what the science has been saying for many years, there has never been a more important time to be working on climate change.
About the role
The ECF’s Strategic Communications Team is currently accepting applications for the role of Strategic Communications Associate.
Working as part of an international team of expert communicators, the successful candidate will provide strategic communications capacity to a wide network of partners, enabling them to run impactful communications campaigns, raise awareness around priority issues and create more space for action on the climate and wider environmental impacts of a carbon-intensive sector.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and highly driven communications professional with the ambition to make a difference and play an active role in helping speed up the low carbon transition internationally.
This person will report to the Strategic Communications Manager, Transport.
The Strategic Communications Associate will be responsible for:
- Tracking political, public and media debates around the carbon-intensive sector, climate change and environmental degradation and developing communications strategies to influence these debates
- Identifying opportunities for set piece, mainstream media interventions that make the impact of emissions more visible and coordinating global outreach on these events via an international network of expert communicators
- Building a wide network of partners, from civil society to industry, politics, celebrities, academia and beyond, and working with these partners to create or engage them in media opportunities
- Developing / maintaining strong relationships with key correspondents and editors in mainstream and specialist media (maritime, transport, Arctic, etc.)
- Collaborating closely with political leads in the international space to ensure the team’s narrative-building efforts support key political strategies and vice versa
- Supporting the programme with the development of communications plans around key intervention opportunities and providing hands-on outreach and distribution support to programme and campaign partners, helping ensure outreach events and materials like reports, studies and briefings are of the highest quality and communicated effectively to target audiences
- Monitoring, evaluation and reporting on communications efforts
Experience and competencies
- A genuine interest in the mission and values of the ECF
- At least 3 years of professional communications experience, including some experience in political campaigning
- Outstanding English language skills, with proven skills to produce engaging and impactful communications materials
- A strong understanding of the influences on and processes and dynamics of policy-making; insights into the workings of the EU a plus
- A strategic thinker with proven ability to develop and implement robust communications plans
- Good networking skills among a diverse range of partners
- Existing relationships with key environmental correspondents highly desirable (alternatively the proven ability to develop these swiftly)
- Strong vision, creativity, service orientation and the confidence to bring others along are key to this role
- An independent self-starter able to work on his/her own and as part of a remote team
- Relevant political, industry, trade press PR background a plus
- The disposition to work generously with colleagues in a high-trust global community of peers
- The versatile and adaptable skills necessary to flourish in a fast-paced and wide-ranging work environment and work across phone/video conferencing, time zones, Slack, email, Trello, etc.
- A commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach to facing climate change
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, small group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time position with a consultant or employment contract (subject to location) for 12 months, with a possible renewal after one year.
Brussels, Berlin or London, or in a European time zone. We may be able to provide co-working spaces in some locations. You must be in possession of a valid work permit / have the right to work in your location.
As soon as possible
How to apply
Please upload below (both in English)
- Maximum 2-page CV
- Short cover letter explaining why you would be suited to the position
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups to apply.