This is a full time position for a dynamic candidate with excellent writing and analytic skills. Join part of a fun, fast-paced and growing organization that is developing exciting new programs for farmers and workers around the globe. Fair Trade USA seeks bright, talented changemakers who are passionate about our mission. We are social entrepreneurs, flexible and adaptive to change. We value integrity, innovation, idealism and impact.
Fair Trade USA's Standards team defines program requirements based on Fair Trade principles. We seek a detail oriented and dynamic Standards Specialist to support the revision and implementation of Fair Trade USA Standards. The Specialist will support Fair Trade USA’s trade program and Premium setting process. This work will be across all our product categories, including supply chains for agricultural products, seafood, and apparel and home goods. Our trade program covers requirements for supply chain actors related to traceability and chain of custody, as well as producer protections. The Fair Trade Premium is an additional payment for every Fair Trade Certified product sold which goes directly back to farmers, fishers and workers to invest in community development projects.
The Specialist contributes to writing clear, unambiguous standards and policies in line with the objectives of Fair Trade. They support stakeholder outreach processes on standard content, facilitating consultations, and helping ensure balanced decision-making in determining the final standards. The Specialist also supports the development of training materials and guidance documents, answering questions on clarification of program requirements, and will be responsible for website updates and research projects as requested. The Specialist supports Premium setting by working with supply chain and certification staff to research and understand market pricing and impact potential to make recommendations on effective Premium rates.
• Support revision and implementation of the Trade Standard to ensure it is impactful, inclusive, credible, and aligned to the objectives of Fair Trade.
• Advise internal and external stakeholders on interpretation questions related to Trade Standard implementation.
• Contribute to the development of policies, tools and guidance to accompany the Trade Standard to ensure accurate interpretation and implementation.
• Track, interpret and summarize feedback on Fair Trade USA Standards and associated documents, especially during public consultation periods and other major outreach phases.
• Conduct research and consultation to support setting of effective Premium rates and innovations in organizational strategies around Premium.
• Contribute to internal and external communications on Standards.
• Support revisions of Fair Trade USA Standards for producers (farms, fisheries, factories) and other team projects as necessary.
• Two to three years of experience working in an analytic, stakeholder engagement, technical writing or international development capacity; preferably in the social, environmental, or supply chain arena.
• Bachelor’s or master’s degree in a related field such as economics and trade or supply chain management.
• Detail-oriented, logical, systematic, methodical, and highly organized.
• Strong English verbal and written communication skills and capacity for communicating and collaborating respectfully and effectively with non-native English speakers.
• Ability to synthesize and present complex information in a simple, meaningful way.
• Demonstrated interest in and ability to learn and understand a broad range of social, labor, economic, environmental and trade issues related to agriculture, seafood, and factories.
• Experience and understanding of supply chains, chain of custody and traceability, and trade issues.
• Ability to work in a flexible, yet fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment, able to meet deadlines and share progress regularly.
• Experience collecting feedback from a broad audience using a variety of tools (email, webinars, strategic conference calls, etc.) preferred
• Fluency in Spanish, Indonesian Bahasa, Hindi, Vietnamese or Mandarin always desired.
• A passion for Fair Trade USA’s mission, vision, and accomplishments.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish, Indonesian Bahasa, Hindi, Vietnamese or Mandarin always desired (but not required).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to the attention of Victoria Solbert, Senior Manager of Standards.