40 West 20th Street
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Director of Donor Relations to work with the Development team in our New York office. This new position will oversee the development of a transformative Major Gifts donors communication strategy in the context of the upcoming 50th anniversary campaign. The Director will be responsible for the development and execution of an innovative communication strategy targeted to Major Gifts donors, including the production of collaterals (digital and print), reports and proposals and digital communications. Working in close partnership with the Major Gifts fundraisers, the Director will lead the development of a robust stewardship program and maintain a calendar of regular communications aimed at this key constituency.
- Creating and overseeing a robust donor stewardship program.
- Managing a team of donor relations professionals, including a team of writers.
- Set forth goals and performance expectations and hold team accountable.
- Address opportunities for career growth and knowledge building on team.
- Actively address performance issues.
- Development of a comprehensive communications calendar targeted at Major Gifts donors.
- Overseeing the creation of major gift donor materials, including proposals, reports, presentation decks, case supports, and digital communications.
- Development of campaign-related collaterals – print and digital.
- Partnering with NRDC Communications Department, Programs, Membership and others to develop content.
- Develop productive partnerships with internal stakeholders.
- Work with a wide range of communications vendors.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Graphic design and marketing background required.
- Minimum 10 years of Donor Relations related work experience.
- Managerial experience required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Graphic design skills.
- Strong planning and project management.
- Knowledge of development best practices, especially in the discipline of donor relations/stewardship.
- Ability to liaise effectively with a wide range of internal stakeholders, especially program-related staff.
- Knowledge of NRDC mission a plus.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Minimum Education Required