Job Description for the Executive Director of Vermont Adult Learning
Vermont Adult Learning provides adults 16 years and older with necessary skills to successfully transition to employment and post-secondary education.
Our vision is that all Vermonters are literate and have skills to successfully participate in family, community and workplace. At Vermont Adult Learning, individuals transform their lives through the integration of education, life and work skills. Vermont Adult Learning is a recognized essential partner in an integrated fabric of services assuring that every Vermonter has access to opportunities for advancement.
The Executive Director provides visionary leadership to guide Vermont Adult Learning through a rapidly changing and uncertain environment.
The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan of an organization with a statewide reach, a budget of over $5 million, and a staff of approximately 80. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, community outreach, and advocacy. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
1) Provides inspirational leadership and direction to Vermont Adult Learning board, staff, and volunteers. Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through ongoing program excellence, rigorous program evaluation and consistent quality of financial management and administrative systems.
2) Responsible for enhancing and developing strategic partnerships that further Vermont Adult Learning’s mission and promote the organization’s sustainability.
3) Responsible for strategic planning and implementation of an RBA-based performance management system to ensure that Vermont Adult Learning can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
4) Develops and expands financial and other resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization. Responsible for maintaining the fiscal integrity of Vermont Adult Learning by ensuring sound financial controls are in place.
5) Responsible for grants management and the effective administration of Vermont Adult Learning operations, including the accurate and timely reporting to funding sources and partners.
6) Responsible for enhancing Vermont Adult Learning’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations to promote the mission of the organization, including advocating for policies that further the goals of Vermont Adult Learning.
7) Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors
The Executive Director must be thoroughly committed to Vermont Adult Learning’s mission, and have a solid understanding of Adult Education and Vermont Adult Learning’s unique role in Adult Education both in Vermont and beyond.
The Executive Director should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience and proven fiscal management skills. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
● Minimum of a bachelor’s degree with five or more years of transparent and high integrity nonprofit management experience.
● A demonstrable connection to Vermont preferred.
● Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting.
● Proven organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
● Demonstrated ability to advocate effectively with funders, legislators, and policy makers in order to promote the mission of Vermont Adult Learning
● Ability to convey a vision of Vermont Adult Learning’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors
● Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
● Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members, staff, volunteers, and partner organizations
● Strong written and oral communication skills
● Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
● Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff, and to promote staff development efforts
● Strong public speaking ability
● Providing visionary leadership to enable Vermont Adult Learning to thrive in an increasingly uncertain and unstable funding environment.
● Planning and operation of annual budget.
● Ensuring the establishment of employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the organization.
● Serving as Vermont Adult Learning’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
● Establishing and maintaining relationships and partnerships with various organizations throughout the state and utilizing those relationships to strategically enhance Vermont Adult Learning’s Mission.
● Reporting to and working closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of Vermont Adult Learning throughout the State.
● Supervising and collaborating with organization staff.
● Strategic planning and implementation.
● Overseeing Board and committee meetings.
● Oversee marketing, branding, and other communications efforts aimed at positioning the organization to address the challenges of a rapidly changing educational environment.
● Reviewing and approving contracts for services.
SALARY - Commensurate with experience and other qualifications. Quality benefits package includes health and paid time off.
Quality benefits package includes health and paid time off.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply by resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and please include VAL Search in the subject line