455 Massachusetts Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
The Council of Large Public Housing Authorities (CLPHA) is a national non-profit organization that works to preserve and improve public and affordable housing through advocacy, research, policy analysis, and public education. CLPHA’s 70 public housing agency members represent virtually every major metropolitan area in the country. Collectively they manage over 40 percent of the nation’s public housing; administer about one-quarter of the Housing Choice Voucher program; and, operate a wide array of other housing programs including the innovative Moving to Work Demonstration (MTW) as well as the Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD). In recent years, CLPHA’s scope of work has expanded to include our cross-sector initiative Housing Is. The Housing Is initiative establishes, broadens, and deepens efforts to align affordable housing, education, and health systems to produce positive, long-term results for low-income people.
ABOUT THE POSITION
This is a new full-time position based in Washington DC. CLPHA seeks an experienced Research and Policy Analyst who will be the lead advocate for the Moving to Work Demonstration. MTW was enacted by Congress in 1996 to test innovative strategies in three major areas: 1) to increase the cost effectiveness of federal housing programs; 2) to increase housing choices for low-income families; and, 3) to encourage economic self-sufficiency of assisted housing residents. The legislation authorizes MTW agencies to obtain exemptions from many of the regulations and statutory provisions that apply to the public housing and Housing Choice Voucher program.
Currently there are 39 MTW agencies and Congress requires an additional 100 be added to the program over the next several years. The 39 agencies have created an ad hoc organization to pursue their collective interests and are represented by a smaller Steering Committee who will provide overall direction to the staff member while the day to day supervision will be the responsibility of CLPHA.
· Research and Policy Analysis. The staff member must be able to identify issues relevant to the MTW agencies and provide research and analysis of these issues, regulations, and/or legislation to CLPHA and to the Steering Committee. This may include meeting with HUD officials, members of Congress and their staffs, researchers and think tanks, as well as other related organizations. The staff member will solicit input from the Steering Committee as well as individual MTW agencies and will draft initiatives for, and/or responses to policies for the Steering Committee to approve. The staff member must be aware of and anticipate impending issues and determine their importance to the MTW agencies. The staff member must be familiar with HUD’s data systems.
· Program Advocacy. The staff member must be able to represent and promote the MTW program. This is especially important in meetings with HUD, the Congress and other relevant stakeholders.
· Serve as a resource to current and newly selected MTW agencies to assist with understanding the program, sharing of information and best practices and dissemination of program outcomes.
Education and Experience
A master’s degree in a related field and 2 to 5 years progressively responsible work experience. Preference for candidates with a background in housing policy, or experience in a public housing agency. MTW experience or knowledge of the MTW program is a strong plus.
· Knowledge of federal, state, and local housing and community development programs especially affordable housing programs including public housing and Housing Choice Voucher program;
· Knowledge of research, statistical and analytical methods as applied to policy and data analysis;
· Strong written, oral, and communication skills and ability to communicate complex policy issues for a variety of audiences;
· Strong organizational skills;
· Highly developed interpersonal skills and ability to communicate well and develop and build relationships with key industry partners, including HUD, Congressional staff, and other government and professional organizations
Minimum Education Required