Child Trends is looking to hire a research assistant to join our education research area starting in fall 2018. The ideal candidate will have experience working in a research setting and have an interest in education and youth development. Child Trends’ education team strives to identify the educational policies, programs, and structures that create positive conditions for learning that help youth of all backgrounds flourish throughout their education and beyond. Our areas of research priorities include school climate, school discipline, school health and wellness, educational equity, and college and workplace readiness.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform literature reviews on education, workforce development, and international youth development topics, synthesizing information from a broad array of scholarly sources.
- Collect quantitative and qualitative data including conducting observations, interviews, focus groups, and survey administration.
- Write code to manage and analyze data in SAS/STATA/R or similar statistical software.
- Participate in qualitative analysis and coding in NVivo or Dedoose.
- Tabulate data and produce effective graphs.
- Write substantive reports, briefs, and journal articles.
- Prepare presentations for conferences and meetings.
- Assist with organizing meetings, preparing meeting notes, and filing when necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant social science field.
- Coursework covering research methods, statistics, and/or qualitative analysis.
- Experience with data analytic software (R, STATA, or SAS)
- Interest in education policy and youth development.
- Direct experience with primary or secondary quantitative research.
- Ability to clearly write and present complex information to technical and general audiences.
- Strong analysis and critical thinking skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (particularly Excel).
- Experience with data collection (e.g., surveys or cognitive labs) is desirable, but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please follow the “apply” link to submit an application. Please combine cover letter, resume, transcripts, one academic writing sample, and three professional references into one document before uploading. Interviews will be scheduled with selected applicants ASAP. If you have any difficulties with this process please email the requested materials to recruitment (at) childtrends.org and make sure to reference the position in the subject line. No phone calls please!