More Than Words (MTW) is a social enterprise that empowers youth who are in the foster care system, court involved, homeless, or out of school to take charge of their lives by taking charge of a business. By working as a team to manage their own retail and online used book business, café, and community space, youth develop the employment skills, leadership, and self-confidence they need to successfully transition to adulthood.
The Full-Time Business Training Manager focused on New Business Ventures will work with More Than Words Operations and Business Development Departments to grow and codify new business ventures that will enable More Than Words to grow its community reach, generate revenue for MTW’s social enterprise and teach and train young people customer service. The employee will work collectively with the adult and youth team as well as independently to build partnerships with companies and organization to host pop shops that build brand awareness.
MTW is an exemplary organization that has continually held up a mirror to identify areas for improvement and accountability; that ethic is part of the culture and fabric of MTW and it extends to our commitment to ensure our staff and board reflect the racial and ethnic diversity and lived experiences of the young adults we are privileged to serve. People of color are highly encouraged to apply.
This position will report directly to the MTW Director of Retail & Events.
New Business Ventures - Key responsibilities include:
- System Building - Develop and codify systems of a new business venture that includes the research and possible development of a mobile book truck and codifying systems around MTW’s pop-up shop model – display, schedule, revenue forecasts
- Earned Revenue - Adding new revenue streams to complement our current operations resulting in equal or greater than 50K in first year
- Reporting - An implementation and reporting template that enables More Than Words to track inventory, sales and popularity of market(s)
- Marketing and Brand Building - Working with adult and youth staff to build awareness of pop-up or mobile sales locations while building and engaged community through social media
- Truck Operations: Safely operate MTW Fleet Trucks during transit to and from site locations
- Job Coaching - Providing an additional job training opportunity for More Than Words program youth to gain additional skill development in design, marketing and customer service
· Research, register, and build schedule calendar for desired pop-up shop location – i.e. farmers markets, craft fairs, vacant store fronts, community events, corporations, etc.
· Support the design and build out of a new pop-up store front
· Research and acquire new mobile shelving and design set up specifically for the pop-up model
· Manage mobile retail locations
· Research and develop new revenue streams with current products
· Proficient with Microsoft applications
· Proficient with social media applications – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
· Complete a Federal Motor Vehicle Record Waiver, results must be found favorable
· Successfully complete MTW’s Level 1 Driver Training course, MTW’s pick-up and load training, hold a valid
driver’s license with no major traffic violations, and pass a required medical physical to obtain a DOT card.
· Building a training program that helps develop customer service and sales training skills for program youth
· Candidate must be able to regularly lift boxes weighing approximately 25 lbs
Valid driver’s license required.
This is a salaried position with benefits, commensurate with experience.
More Than Words is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, citizenship status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to BTMNewbusinessventures@MTWyouth.org and reference BTM-NBV-002 in the subject line.