Reports to: Jonathan Garcia, Senior Director of IT, National
Start date: July 2021
Location: Preferred within a OneGoal region: Atlanta, GA; Chicago, IL; Houston, TX; Boston, MA; New York City, NY; Bay Area, CA, but flexible within the following states: Alabama, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington D.C., Wisconsin
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas.
COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity in communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 14,000 students in six communities.
- Our model, honed over 12 years, has three core differentiators: A rigorous, culturally relevant content and experience, cohorts of students who can support each other over the course of three years, and a teacher who supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 88% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 79% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
OneGoal is seeking an IT Systems Manager to assist with the day-to-day operations, as well as the customization and maintenance of in-house IT systems. This individual will support staff members across a variety of contexts to ensure they have the IT resources and infrastructure necessary to effectively and efficiently get their work accomplished. The IT Systems Manager will also assist with OneGoal’s Fellow Online Experience, and District Partnership Pilot technology assistance, and planning. This person will support the Senior Director of IT in setting a long-term strategic vision for technology at OneGoal and deliver on that vision through execution of various strategic IT projects and regional support.
The IT Systems Manager will work to expand in-house solutions and assist in cross-team collaborations; work to integrate other departments’ technology and keep the organization’s technology streamlined. Specific responsibilities include:
IT Strategy and Infrastructure Building/Maintenance (60%)
- Own the lifecycle of IT projects and assist with the research and development of other project ideas.
- Maintain the existing infrastructure of certain systems, Including system testing, refining, and updating
- Check backup logs
- Coordinate with Regional Operation Managers (ROM) on IT needs in regional offices
- Periodically conduct best practice research on IT infrastructure and document solutions to known IT challenges to build institutional knowledge
- Manage our Google email platform and develop systems to increase efficiency
- Maintain accurate inventory of all laptops and IT equipment as well as management of software licenses
- Manage the Online Fellow Experience onboarding process and delegate maintenance tasks to the IT Coordinator
- Remote Monitoring + Management (RMM): Monitor the RMM for alerts with computers
- Network Maintenance: Coordinate with regional operations managers to maintain network environments. Perform basic network and server maintenance tasks (Server, G-Suite, Office 365) such as adding/removing users and checking logs
Help Desk Support/Management (40%)
- Oversee onboarding/offboarding of staff members to ensure procedures are followed and staff have the tech resources they need to effectively do their work
- Facilitate Core IT onboarding sessions for new staff members
- Operate an effective and responsive Help Desk by which all staff members get the IT support they need to do their best work every day – Manage tasks and Help Desk assignments. Coordinate, prioritize and delegate tickets toward completion. Provide Help Desk support for all regions. Gather Help Desk metrics. Liaise and build relationships with external vendors for various equipment services and other supports in our technology consortium/ Maintain IT vendor service agreement; leverage vendor expertise on long-term projects or strategy
- Provide support on the Canvas platform, including rostering and onboarding of accounts
- Coordinate with regions for fellow accessibility issues
- Provide technical support for our Fellow Online Experience and District Partnership Pilot
Though the IT Systems Manager is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples, these are not requirements. These examples are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion and purpose.
You believe deeply in our Fellows and their ability to graduate from college.
- You believe that our Fellows face real systemic barriers to college graduation and that empowering their families, their teachers, and themselves to own their unique path will help them to overcome those barriers.
You build the capacity of others.
- You are passionate about supporting the needs of others and pride yourself in providing best-in-class support.
- You obsess over finding better ways to leverage data to help others make data insightful and actionable
- You are proactive in managing up to others to build capacity laterally and vertically. You take the initiative to find “teachable moments” and model for others how to ask the right questions to learn from data.
You excitedly identify and confront challenges and opportunities.
- You see challenges as opportunities to take your critical thinking skills and impact to the next level. You operate with a strong sense of personal responsibility when it comes to solving challenges.
- You analyze data and marshal resources to ensure our staff has what they need to achieve our mission.
You value working collaboratively and innovatively.
- You constantly strive to learn from and share learnings with your teammates, no matter your current knowledge or experience.
- You know when and how to engage other key stakeholders that have the insight and positional authority to help you and others overcome obstacles and seize viable beneficial opportunities in a timely way.
- You do not operate as a blind executor of pre-existing practices; instead, you thoughtfully evaluate the OneGoal program and identify ways to elevate our program’s effectiveness.
You are a creative thinker and thrive in complex and nonlinear systems.
- You like to explore and build innovative approaches and have designed new ways of doing things.
- You are an ideas person. Thinking outside of the box is not difficult for you and you enjoy coming up with new ways to solve old problems.
- Problem-solving excites you. In fact, encountering a challenge doesn’t discourage you, it just fuels your determination to go back to the drawing board to develop a different approach. Mistakes are simply an opportunity to learn.
- You’re comfortable with non-linear thinking. You know there are multiple pathways to arriving at a solution and you are open to new ways of thinking and doing in order to get to the best possible outcome.
You are a clear and direct communicator.
- You prescribe and differentiate your methods and modes of communication-based on the greatest potential for impact.
- You strike a balance between messaging that requires swift and short clarity, as well as those that would benefit from greater detail and depth of explanation.
- You are proactively thorough and often follow up to ensure that any missing information or clarifications are resolved and that messaging has been received as intended by your various audiences.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent (Required)
- 4+ years of professional experience in an IT environment (Required)
- Experience managing large scale technology projects and deployments (Required)
- IT service experience specifically as a Help Desk Technician and Manager (Strongly Preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to liaise and build relationships with external vendors for various equipment services and other supports in our technology consortium (Strongly preferred)
- General networking and network administration knowledge (routers and wireless access points)
- Familiarity with Google Apps and Services (Required)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 and experience troubleshooting Microsoft Windows environments (Required)
- Familiarity troubleshooting and configuring Windows 10/Server (Required)
- Experience with Data Warehouse environment and technology (Preferred)
- Adept at troubleshooting desktop issues and overall hardware/software troubleshooting
- Familiarity with VPN (Required)
- IT/Asset inventory management experience (Preferred)
- Demonstrated experience training Staff on IT protocols and policies; strong documentation skills (Required)
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at 773-321-2630 or HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org. You may also reach out to Leila El-Badawi directly at Leila.El-Badawi@onegoalgraduation.org or 773-916-4172.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.