Role & Responsibilities
Oversee the financial and HR activities of the programme. Responsibility for the accounting functions required to provide accurate and timely information on the financial status of the programme to donors, GSO, field management and field teams. Organise and further develop the financial processes, managing the finance team, providing coaching and training as required. Recruitment of national HR staff, staff policy development, co-ordination of training and general staff well-being. The Finance and HR Manager also works with field management and GSO on in-country issues for internationally recruited staff.
Medair’s emergency response team was deployed in Sudan in February 2020 with the objectives of re-applying for country registration and to re-establish relationship with government authorities, donor agencies, UN partners, and INGOs. The team has also been ascertaining information on gaps and priorities to understand the humanitarian context, and identifying programmatic gaps for potential interventions. As of March 2020, Medair obtained registration to start multi-sector programming in in Sudan. Location (s) for the implementation of project is being determined based on needs and assessments.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Khartoum, Sudan (Possible field visits to South Kordofan, Blue Nile, and Gedaref States).**
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 6 to 12 months minimum.
Key Activity Areas
- Reconciling / verifying bank and cash amounts on a regular basis. Ensuring payments are made in a timely fashion. Detailing expenditure through monthly expense sheets for all cash accounts.
- Preparing the monthly cash needs forecast for the programme, ensuring that money is transferred between locations in a timely manner and that daily cash needs are met. Preparing the monthly financial accounts.
- Providing functional supervision to Finance Officer in field locations.
- Liaising with the GSO Finance Officer as issues arise or changes occur to the policies & procedures for financial operations.
- Monitoring project spending on an on-going basis, communicating with the relevant programme managers about any under / over spend and working with them to agree appropriate actions required.
- Ensure that Medair Finance Procedures are followed in the Country Programme’s offices as part of internal control monitoring. Work with Budget holders and GSO staff in the preparation and development of budgets for projects and shared costs. Contribute to the financial management of signed donor grants.
- Prepare for, manage and support internal and external field financial audits, providing all information.
- Country Programme focal point for IRS and NRS staff Labour report (LR) monthly exercise. Gathering all signed LR templates from each FO in the field locations every month.
Human Resources Management for Nationally Recruited Staff
- Manage and co-ordinate the recruitment process for new / vacant positions in conjunction with the relevant line manager. This will include updates to job descriptions, advertise the vacancy, draw up the short-list, interview potential candidates and make the appointment.
- Ensure all nationally recruited staff have a current employment contract and receive an appropriate induction.
- Follow the correct procedures according to Medair policy and local labour laws terminating a staff member’s contract.
- Ensure relevant HR documentation is made available to staff in a language they understand or is explained verbally to those with limited reading ability. Organise appropriate debriefing, following any critical incident.
- Ensuring exit interviews are carried out and appropriate records are kept when individuals leave Medair.
- Regular review, update and / or develop of employment documentation for nationally recruited staff, including job descriptions, employment contracts and staff guidelines, to meet the requirements of local labour laws.
- Liaise with other NGOs, local service providers and field management to ensure that salaries and benefits for nationally recruited staff are in-line with similar organisations.
- Support line managers to identify training needs for all staff and source in-house and external training opportunities, working within budgetary and operational constraints and maintain training records.
- Provide line managers with any necessary training, advice, mentoring and coaching on performance management or any other relevant areas of HR management or procedures for their teams are followed.
Human Resources Management for Internationally Recruited Staff
- Provide pre-assignment programme specific information including any required visas or work permits.
- Work with line managers to ensure new staff receive an appropriate briefing and that induction & handover is carried out.
- Support line managers on staff wellbeing, provide confidential and relevant feedback as requested.
- Ensure exit interviews are carried out and appropriate records are kept when individuals leave Medair.
- Meet the finance and HR related administrative requirements of Medair, donors, local legislation, suppliers, contractors, employees and any other stakeholders.
- Prepare the monthly payroll list and payments for staff salaries and / or allowances in accordance with local employment regulations, ensuring that all required statutory deductions are made.
- Support the GSO Programme Finance Officer (PFO) in reporting to donors, providing relevant documents and narrative explanation of any anomalies or discrepancies.
- Ensure a clear and transparent paper trail is in place for all financial transactions, that finance and staff records are kept in an orderly fashion and that the filing (archive) system is in line with Medair internal archiving policies and meet donor requirements. Champion process improvements.
- Manage and oversee the programme HR and finance staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc. Providing functional supervision to Finance Officer in field locations.
- Control and manage the security of in-country cash when held on site and when being transferred to other account holders. Conduct regular internal audits and report immediately any possible fraud or theft.
- Quality Management
- Promote and use the Medair Intranet and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject and/or Certified Public Accountant Part 2 completed, and/or HR qualification.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). Ability to speak, or learn, local language (Arabic).
Experience / Competencies
- Relevant professional experience in a financial or HR position for at least two years.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- High numeracy skills. Excellent attention to detail. Diplomatic and discreet.
- Good inter-personal and conflict resolution, and negotiating skills.
- Able to develop, coach and support other team members, both international and national staff.