About The Tech
The Tech Interactive is a family-friendly science and technology center in the heart of downtown San Jose. Our hands-on activities, experimental labs and design challenge experiences empower people to innovate with creativity, curiosity and compassion. The Tech is a world leader in the creation of immersive STEAM education resources to develop the next generation of problem-solvers locally, nationally and globally. We believe that everyone is born an innovator who can change the world for the better.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including but not limited to those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or nonconforming, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
The Facilities Foreman is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Associate Vice President of Operations. This hands-on position has overall responsibility for the repair, maintenance and daily facilities needs for both the Interactive and the business office spaces. This position also oversees and works closely with the Safety and Security Manager to ensure a safe and secure environment. Due to the nature of the job duties this position works primarily onsite with limited ability for remote work.
The Tech requires candidates to pass a background screening and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination including 1st booster, if eligible, as conditions of employment. If not yet eligible for booster, the vaccination must be received within two weeks of eligibility in order to stay compliant with The Tech’s vaccination policy.
- Operate and maintain major building systems, including HVAC, lighting and electrical, plumbing, sump pumps, water treatment, compressed air/vacuum systems, locks, keys and card access systems, structural maintenance and maintenance scheduling, work order system, facilities tools, annual maintenance inspections, spare parts inventory and motor pool.
- Build relationships with and support other departmental projects and maintenance as needed. Ensure that the Facilities team acts as back up and additional staff as appropriate.
- Be an active participant in the daily ongoing repair and upkeep of both The Interactive and business office. This includes lighting maintenance, painting projects, cubicle restructuring and moves, furniture relocation, minor facility repairs and other ongoing needs.
- Determine when maintenance can be done in house and when an outside vendor or contractor is required. Source, hire, schedule and be the point person for vendors and contractors as needed.
- Assign tasks and monitor work of small facilities staff and a Security and Safety Manager. Provide mentoring and training for staff.
- Manage and support the Security and Safety Manager on any safety protocols
- Work with and maintain open communication with various City of San José entities and other outside stakeholders to ensure beneficial partnership, especially on projects directly related to the operations of The Tech Interactive.
- Contribute to and manage facility COVID-19-related guidelines and protocols for the organization.
- Work with the Safety and Security Manager to oversee the operation of The Tech’s security contract including interfacing with the contractor, as well as the training and monitoring of contracted security staff.
- Respond to emergencies under the guidelines of The Tech’s emergency response protocol on all schedules as a first point of contact.
- Prioritize organizational needs, complaints and work orders, coordinating with other departments to schedule a time frame for completion and scheduling work assignments.
- Ensure compliance with applicable codes, laws, rules and regulations, safety policies and procedures.
- Coordinate procurement of equipment, supplies and materials to perform required duties effectively and efficiently.
- Manage contracted services, including elevator and escalator maintenance, life safety and public address systems maintenance, fire sprinkler system, lift equipment maintenance, pest control, site inspections, janitorial services, HVAC systems, and garbage and recycling including e-waste pick up.
- Create and manage Facilities budget, project expenses and monitor costs related to the building including electricity and maintenance.
- Support the installation and removal of exhibits, including adding electrical circuits and making minor structural modifications (new walls, etc.).
- Support the production of all events at The Tech Interactive, including set up of chairs, tables, pipe and drape, and floor mats; monitoring access by caterers and other vendors; managing traffic at the loading docks; adding temporary electrical circuits; and overseeing pre-event and post-event clean-up and inspections.
- Respond to facility emergencies including after hours. (some work must be scheduled outside normal business hours).
- Provide expertise on building operations and system requirements for major initiatives, including, but not limited to, IMAX Dome Theater renovations, business office moves and expansion to The Tech Interactive.
- Attend necessary internal and external meetings to stay abreast of projects, programs and events that may impact the daily operation of The Interactive and/or require direct assistance from the department in terms of maintenance, event set-up and security services.
- Act as Manager of Day (MOD) as scheduled.
- Work several days a quarter on The Interactive floor as part of the organization's infusion program.
- Work with Team as one of the Tech’s liaisons on Park Habitat development
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Previous work experience in the facilities or equivalent field in positions showing progressive responsibility including oversight and management of a facility and people.
- Hands-on, can-do, jack-of-all-trades background and attitude.
- Ability to work onsite in a busy public setting.
- Experience in a daily operational venue with high guest traffic is a plus.
- Ability to build relationships with and support other teams.
- Ability and desire to teach and mentor staff.
- Experience overseeing maintenance of large HVAC systems.
- Understanding of OSHA requirements as they relate to the functioning of systems, construction and building operations.
- Basic computer and database skills (needed to operate building maintenance software, respond to emails, write reports, etc.).
- Expertise with hand and power tools with ability to set and enforce safety standards.
- Mastery of common building hardware such as door openers, lavatory fixtures, etc.
- Excellent people and communication skills and ability to work well cross-departmentally, with staff, volunteers, contractors, the public and government agencies, including the City of San José.
- Willingness to work some weekend days plus some evenings and holidays.
- Ability to adhere to The Tech’s grooming guidelines.
- Ability to carry out daily duties, including the ability to lift, bend, reach, push and pull.
- Forklift experience is a plus.
The Tech will provide an equal opportunity in recruitment and employment to all individuals and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.