Details: Salary range is $40,000-50,000 depending on experience and qualifications.
Jews United for Justice (JUFJ) is a grassroots organization working in the Jewish communities of Greater Washington and Baltimore on local campaigns for social, racial and economic justice. Our Baltimore regional office was founded 4 years ago. We move our region closer to equity and justice by advancing issue-based campaigns that make real, immediate, and concrete improvements in people's lives and build the power of working-class and poor communities of color. Through these campaigns we develop leaders, build our Jewish grassroots community, shift the consciousness of our community, and build the collective power needed to undo systemic racism and inequality.
JUFJ is seeking a full-time Community Organizer to continue building and mobilizing our constituency to win issue campaigns in the Baltimore region. The ideal candidate will excel at building relationships and working with a team to make an impact. They will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle a heavy workload without dropping the ball. This position reports to JUFJ’s Baltimore Director.
- Partner with volunteer leaders to plan and lead our Baltimore campaign work. This includes developing campaign strategy, planning campaign actions, events, and meetings, and working with community allies and organizations.
- Continue to expand JUFJ's base of volunteer leaders and supporters.
- Plan and execute JUFJ's educational and community building programs, facilitating and presenting as needed.
- Work with dedicated communications staff to create weekly newsletters, maintain JUFJ's social media presence, and keep data updated.
- Support and train active leaders and community members to successfully take on increasing leadership roles, own their pieces of work, and deepen their relationships with JUFJ more broadly.
- Build and maintain relationships with allies, organizational partners, synagogues, and elected leaders.
- Represent JUFJ in coalitions and playing a leadership role in them when called upon.
Jews United for Justice seeks candidates who are results-oriented and excel at building relationships, and who have demonstrated success making thoughtful strategic decisions and managing complicated projects with attention to both details and process.
The Community Organizer will have:
- Outstanding leadership qualities and the ability to inspire and connect with Jewish social justice activists and community leaders.
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting high standards and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles.
- Proven success developing relationships and building a base to support a cause.
- The ability to master a complicated political landscape quickly and thoroughly.
- Demonstrated ability to break down large projects into smaller discrete tasks that can be distributed to multiple volunteer leaders who then feel ownership over their piece of work.
- The ability and willingness to work nights and weekends (schedule varies week-to-week).
- At least 2 years of professional experience in community organizing or progressive political advocacy.
- Experience planning programs and facilitating large and small meetings.
- A sense of humor, a passion for social justice and making positive change in the world, and a genuine commitment to working in a collaborative team setting.
Also Highly Desired:
- Familiarity with Jewish cultural norms and navigating Jewish institutions.
- Familiarity with Baltimore City, Baltimore County and/or Maryland state-level politics.
- Familiarity with the concepts and methods of broad-based organizing (through IAF, PICO, Gamaliel, or DART) or with the methodology of other community organizing groups such as Midwest Academy.
- Familiarity or experience with online organizing tools and techniques
Includes health insurance, short term disability, and 3% match for retirement.
Minimum Education Required