4811 North Central Park Avenue
Lead Organizer Job Description
Type: Full time, salaried, $48,000 a year with included, no-cost Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois health insurance; workers compensation insurance; and benefits including paid vacation, paid sick leave and paid parental leave. This position has a 6-month probation period. A commitment of at least 3-4 years is desired.
Position Description: The Lead Organizer will lead, supervise and mentor a team of 3 other organizers who engage Latino Union’s base of Latinx and Black day laborer and household worker members in creating safe, living-wage jobs, growing as leaders, and building a larger movement for immigrants and workers rights. The Lead Organizer will also collaborate with the Executive Director to oversee program and campaign strategy, and essential internal organizational leadership activities. This position reports to the Executive Director.
· Lead Latino Union’s organizing team to create powerful organizing for immigrants’ and workers’ rights.
· Build and maintain strong relationships with members and staff
· Represent Latino Union in conferences, professional associations, and other public events.
· Develop organizational strategy around emerging campaign and program areas.
· Mentor and coach other organizers; serve as a visible, approachable sounding board and resource
· Identify organization-wide needs regarding program and campaign structure and staff development
· Attend Latino Union’s bi-weekly staff meetings, weekly organizers meetings and other staff retreats and organizational meetings
- Exceptional relationship-builder
- Minimum 5 years experience in organizing, including at least 1-2 years as lead organizer
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Drivers license and reliable access to a vehicle
- Understanding of issues facing low-wage workers, immigrant communities, and other communities of color
- Agreement with Latino Union vision and values
- Passion and commitment to collaborate with diverse stakeholders in a way that prioritizes worker member development and builds organizational capacity
- Excellent communication and organizational skills—good attention to detail and well organized
- Self-motivated—proven ability to work independently
- Experience and competencies in working in a multiracial, multicultural environment
- Ability to work varied hours depending on community needs, including evenings and weekends
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and commitment to continual learning and growth within the organization
How to apply: Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Lead Organizer” in the subject line.
Who we are: Latino Union of Chicago collaborates with low-income immigrant and U.S. –born workers to develop the tools necessary to collectively improve social and economic conditions.
Latino Union is an equal opportunity employer to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, or marital status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Women, people of color, and immigrants encouraged to apply.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required