790 Folsom Street
The preschool teacher is responsible to the day-to-day operations of the preschool classroom and reports directly to the Site Manager. The position requires flexibility, a positive attitude, and the desire to foster early childhood education.
• Must hold, or be eligible for State of California Commission on Teacher Credentialing Site Supervisor Permit. Must in any event hold a minimum of an Associate Permit.
• Preferred BA Degree (in ECE or related field).
• Upon hire must be able to pass a physical exam and T.B. screening, to meet Title 22 regulations as required.
• Upon hire, must pass a Department of Justice fingerprint clearance and a Child Abuse Index clearance as required by licensing.
• Ability to independently understand, speaks, read, and write English language adequate to communicate effectively with children, parents, and staff.
• Ability to communicate and relate to children and adults in a positive, respectful manner.
• Ability to lead and work with a staff of varying educational and experiential backgrounds with sensitive leadership, consistency, and reliability.
• Sensitivity to the cultural and socioeconomic background of the children and families being served.
• Knowledge and experience in working with children with special needs
• Knowledge of CLASS, ECERS, DRDPs and Pyramid/CSEFEL Teaching Model.
• Knowledge of Reggio Emilia philosophy and Project Approach a plus.
• CPR and First Aid Certificate preferred.
• Maintains professional ethics of confidentiality, discretion, and good judgment.
• Works closely with teachers and staff to lead the development of a comprehensive children's program and environment in accordance with SOMACC's Reggio Emilia philosophy and agency policies and procedures.
• Provides individualized small group instruction and adapts the curriculum to the needs and interests of each child.
• Implements children’s assessments according to the California Department of Education’s criteria.
• Maintains visual and auditory supervision of children at all times to ensure their safety in the classroom, on the playground, and on field trips.
• Supports children's social and emotional development by providing a warm, nurturing, and respectful atmosphere for the children to be encouraged to learn and grow.
• Maintains a creative, team-building approach to job performance and seeks to bring a constructive, problem solving orientation to all tasks.
• Works cooperatively with parents, staff, and third party consultants to meet the individual needs of children and their families.
• Reports all known injuries and other known safety or health concerns to the administration, and administers pediatric first-aid when necessary and reports any suspected child abuse as mandated by state law. If first aid is applied all SOMACC injury procedures must be followed including completion of an injury report, notifying administration, and calling parents as determined by administration.
• Assists Administration in ensuring classroom compliance with all related California Department of Social Services Community Care Licensing rules and regulations.
• Actively expands learning about children, taking ECE classes and attending workshops and trainings.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Hours: This is full time position (40 hours per week). Monday - Friday, between the hours of 7:30am to 6pm.
South of Market Child Care, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations will be considered for qualified candidates who need accommodations for non-essential tasks.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified
Comprehensive Benefits: employer paid medical, dental, life insurance, employee contribution 403b, & employee pretax commuter benefits. Also: 3 weeks vacation, 3 weeks sick leave, 14 Paid Holidays, Professional Development, Community Outreach, & Resource Programs and Training.
Minimum Education Required