500 19th Street NE
Special Education Coordinator Job Description and Responsibilities
Unique opportunity to be on the growing educational team at an innovative charter boarding school targeting foster care youth
About Monument Academy
Working with the most at-risk adolescents and established on an innovative model integrating excellent academics with evidence-based, trauma-informed practices, Monument Academy is a weekday boarding that opened in the 2015-2016 school year with a 5th grade class of 40 students and is expanding to 6th grade in 2016-17. The school is currently authorized to expand to 8th grade and maintains the goal of growing through high school so that students will graduate from Monument Academy.
The mission of Monument Academy is to provide students, particularly those who have had or might have contact with the foster care system, with the requisite academic, social, emotional, and life skills to be successful in college, career, and community, and to create an outstanding school that attracts, supports, and retains exceptional and caring people. Monument Academy will fulfill its mission by providing stability, adult connection, high-quality academics, therapeutic support, and life skills for pre-teens and teens. Monument Academy graduates will be prepared for post-secondary education, on a career trajectory, and have the social, emotional, and self-care skills to maintain a healthy, connected, and economically self-supporting life.
About the Position
As a member of the Academic Team, the Monument Academy the Special Education Coordinator will work to ensure that all students are receiving a high quality education that meets their learning needs and goals. He/she will provide direct support, guidance, and oversight on key elements related to our special education and intervention compliance, reporting and management systems. The Special Education Coordinator will help Monument Academy with special education compliance, state reporting, data collection, review, and day-to-day challenges that arise. The Special Education Coordinator manages and improves our systems and procedures related to special education and intervention. The Coordinator will collaborate with the Academic Team, the Well-Being Team, the Student Life/Residential Team, external partners and service providers, as well as with parents and students in order to provide an unparalleled and personalized academic experience. Monument Academy values the personal well-being and professional growth of our staff. The Special Education Coordinator will create a personalized development plan collaboratively with the Principal and will receive weekly coaching to ensure progress toward personal and professional goals.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Promote Monument Academy’s core values and model the highest behavior standards for staff and student at all times
- Collaborate with the leadership team regarding special education and intervention matters
- Monitor special education evaluation, reevaluation and annual IEP compliance
- Regularly review special education and intervention data to inform programmatic changes and supports to improve our academic program
- Calculate and report student achievement data scores for special education
- Manage the flow of consistent communication on Special Education issues to all stakeholders
- Work with the Director of Well-Being and the Special Education Coop to assist with Medicaid initial start-up and compliance
- Set up and support initial vendor contracts and finding contractors for difficult to fill positions
- Assist school based leaders with problem solving around scheduling, hours, and timelines, as needed
- Monitor invoices for related services monthly and calculate overall network spending on related services
- Ensure completion of state reporting
- Collaborate with school leadership to prepare for necessary legal procedures including due process cases or litigation
- Support the creation and implementation of personalized learning plans for each student that are data-informed and Common Core State Standards aligned.
- Communicate regularly with parents and caregivers regarding student progress and challenges
- Conduct home visits with another staff member as needed
- Fully participate in professional development opportunities on and off property throughout the year
- Provide and seek feedback from other members of the Academic Team and Monument Academy staff and leadership
The qualified applicant is a positive, caring, and results-oriented Special Education Coordinator. S/he is deeply committed to Monument Academy’s integrated approach to supporting and educating students, which includes maintaining an inclusive classroom setting for special education instruction and a balanced focus on excellent academic instruction as well as social-emotional instruction. S/he is passionate about working with adolescents, particularly those who may require additional support to meet their unique educational and emotional needs. This individual believes that all children are capable of achieving at high levels and in the significance of making the connection between students’ aspirations for their lives and careers and their education. This person also understands and models that learning, and setback, are opportunities for growth for both students and adults. The qualified applicant will set an example as a continuous, open-minded learner, devoted to evidence-based practices that promote student achievement and well-being. S/he will build trusting relationships with and support faculty, staff, students, and parents.
Candidates should possess the following:
Character Traits and Values
- Commitment to the mission of Monument Academy
- Passion for teaching and learning
- Emotional self-regulation, patience, maturity and humility
- Honesty and integrity
- Curiosity and creativity
- Optimism and enthusiasm
- Excellent people skills
- Respect for students, families, and staff
- Ability to accept and integrate feedback into practice
- Proactive and able to anticipate issues and manage unanticipated events with thoughtfulness and grace
- Commitment to positive behavioral approaches
- Willingness to learn and grow in a new school environment
- Thoughtful self-reflection and good self-care skills
Experience, Credentials, and Skills
- 5+years of instructional experience in special education;
- Degree in Special Education, or a related field preferred;
- Certification in special education, supervisory or administrative certificate(s) preferred
- Experience working with at-risk youth, foster youth, or youth with high social emotional needs highly desired
- Demonstrated ability to set ambitious goals with students and data-supported evidence that these goals were met
- Experience with the IEP process from assessment to identification and creation to monitoring and review
- Thorough knowledge of special education laws and regulations
- Cultural competency in working with students and families from different racial, ethnic, linguistic, and sexual orientation backgrounds
- Ability to connect with families/caregivers
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills for understanding and interpreting data to inform instruction and other practices
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to prioritize, delegate, manage time and tasks to meet deadlines
- Proven track record working collaboratively with a team
- Meet the requirements to obtain “Highly Qualified” status for the District of Columbia under the No Child Left Behind law and IDEA
- Bachelor’s degree required. Content concentration or advanced degree in Special Education preferred
Location: Washington, D.C.
Monument Academy offers competitive salaries, commensurate with experience. The school offers a strong benefits package that includes health care (HMO and PPO options), retirement plan (employer match available), Flexible Spending accounts, supplemental insurance through AFLAC, and generous vacation leave for its administrators.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Visit the “Careers” page on www.monumentacademy.org. Click the “Apply Here” link. You will be asked to create a profile, then fill out an application, including uploading your resume and cover letter. Salary and benefits are competitive, and commensurate with education, and level of work experience. Monument Academy is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and encourages applicants from all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected status. All employment decisions are made solely on the basis of the individual’s qualifications, as related to the requirements of the position being filled.