Details: Depending on experience
District of Columbia
The Laborers’ International Union of North America (LIUNA) seeks a Communications professional to support the implementation of communications and public affairs strategies designed to build and foster awareness. Using news media and communications, this professional will engage members in political and organizing efforts.
The successful candidate will:
- Create compelling and engaging communications content that inspires, informs, and educates LIUNA’s key issues.
- Enhance LIUNA’s communications visibility with LIUNA affiliates/Locals by inspiring engagement with key audiences on key issues.
- Manage LIUNA’s and Local Unions websites; keeping the website current and relevant by adding new content on a continuous basis.
- Maintain news media lists and databases.
- Be responsible for news media materials, including, op-eds, news, releases, and fact sheets.
- Participate in cross-functional team meetings in planning initiatives, and campaigns.
- Support external communications including daily news clips, email newsletters, marketing communications, handbills, sample letters to the editor and talking points.
- Support public relations activities and prepare staff for news media interview; including press releases, media advisories, talking points and background information.
- Provide research and analysis on key issues and initiatives.
Skills and Experience Requirements:
- At least three years of experience in communications and/or public affairs.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, political science or other related field.
- Preferably a familiarity with unions and / or other progressive organizations.
- Excellent writing/editing and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in website content development, graphic/digital design.
- Strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently.
- Creativity and thoughtfulness on how various media strategies can be utilized.
- Highly collaborative style.
- Self-starter and able to work independently.
- Energetic, enthusiastic and able to occasionally work irregular hours and travel.
The position will be based in Washington, DC. Salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits, including great health insurance plans, a liberal vacation policy and a generous 401k plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required