Rockaway Initiative for Sustainability & Equity (RISE) is a community-based organization in Far Rockaway, Queens, New York, our mission is to inspire all generations of Rockaway residents to care for their environment and community. We provide civic engagement and youth development programs that advance social equity and the physical wellbeing of our vibrant, coastal community.
RISE is seeking a full time, experienced Programs Manager to oversee RISE’s community programs. The Community Programs Manager will report directly to the Executive Director, will be responsible for leading the development, implementation, and monitoring of RISE’s diverse set of community programs, including (but not limited to) beach cleanups, bicycle tours, plant giveaways, arts events, RISE’s vaccination campaign, and the RISE Farm Share program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead and oversee the planning, implementation, evaluation, and future growth of RISE’s public programs and events
- Manage volunteers, part time program staff, and RISE’ Community Programs Coordinator
- Organize, manage, and coordinate scheduling and operations of community events and public programs
- Execute public program marketing/communications including: distribution of flyers,
- development of program press releases, e-newsletters, social media posts, and photos of work
- Cultivate and maintain strong rapport with volunteers, partner groups, and residents
- Work with leadership staff to develop and implement program engagement and recruitment strategies
- Maintain and coordinate all program/event records, including monitoring attendance and adding participants to RISE’s marketing databases
- Manage program/event budgets in collaboration with the finance team
- Collaborate with the development team to ensure all program outcomes and deliverables
- are met based on program grants
- Represent RISE at partner, civic, and community board meetings
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with diverse communities and leading community events/programs
- Authentic commitment to the mission and values of the organization, a must!
- Experience working and/or living in the Rockaway community, strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree in environmental science, social justice, education, biology, ecology, non-profit management, public health, urban planning, or related fields
- Experience managing volunteers or staff
- Superior organizational skills, ability to self-start and self-motivate
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus
- Outgoing and able to work as a part of a team, as well as independently
- Excellent problem-solving, follow-through, documentation and time management skills.
- Strong computer skills; able to work with Microsoft word, Excel, and Google apps/calendar
- Graphic design skills or experience with Constant Contact or Salesforce is a plus
- This is a full time position that will likely be Tuesday-Saturday during the summer, spring, and fall. Salary is commensurate with experience. RISE offers a benefits package including health care, vacation/sick days, and 401k.
Rockaway Initiative for Sustainability & Equity (RISE) is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V
Workplace Conditions and Environment
- We value team members and community partners from all backgrounds and cultures with
- different skills, abilities, and perspectives
- We ensure that everyone has an opportunity to fully contribute to our mission.
- Ability to lift up to 20 lbs. and to perform light physical activity
Please note that this position is based at the RISE Center located at 58-03 Rockaway Beach Blvd, Far Rockaway, New York in Queens. Please map our location before applying.