1402 3rd Ave, Suite 1400
The Administrative Associate is essential to the organization’s operations, ensuring that WEC’s day-to-day bookkeeping is complete, timely and accurate and coordinates other regular operations of our office. They will ensure the smooth operation of our office and our internal systems and are happiest when everything is running methodically and efficiently in support of our staff. This is an entry level position and is a great opportunity for someone who likes to makes things run smoothly as part of a great team!
Washington Environmental Council (WEC) is a nonprofit, statewide advocacy organization that drives positive change to solve our state's most pressing environmental challenges. For 50 years, we have been at the forefront of environmental protection in the state, securing laws and policies that safeguard the health of our families and our environment. From bedrock laws like the State Environmental Policy Act, to free electronic waste recycling, to finding solutions that reduce our climate emissions and build our clean energy economy, WEC ensures a healthy future for our state so it remains a great place to live and work.
Washington Conservation Voters (WCV) ensures Washington’s decision makers keep our environment protected, healthy, and vibrant. Over the last 35 years, we have elected environmental champions, held our elected leaders to the highest standard, and built statewide momentum for environmental campaigns through innovative voter outreach efforts and community organizing. Through our work, WCV is committed to making sure all people in Washington State have a healthy environment and a strong, sustainable economy.
By effectively combining the policy know-how of WEC with the political know-how of WCV, we have reshaped how environmental protection is achieved in Washington state. While both organizations are independent, we work very closely together. Combined, we have a staff of 35 and work in a LEED-certified building in downtown Seattle with a view of Elliott Bay. We offer competitive salaries, great benefits, and the opportunity to make a difference.
The Administrative Associate is responsible the day-to-day bookkeeping functions such as bill payment and donation data entry to ensure our books are accurate. They are responsible for greeting visitors and creating a positive first impression with all who visit our office. This person works with other Admin Team members to ensure the office runs smoothly and efficiently.
Duties for the position include
• Lead WEC bookkeeping processes— including timely bill payment, deposit data entry, payroll tasks, month-end closing and generating QuickBooks reports for program and development staff
• Work with WCV bookkeeper to ensure timely and accurate cross-organizational financial transactions
• Work with Administrative Director to complete annual financial audit and IRS Form 990 with WEC auditors
• Other bookkeeping tasks such as: tracking bank balances and upcoming expenses and assisting with financial reports for CEO, Board of Directors, grants and other purposes as needed
• Greet and assist visitors
• Maintain and/or order office supplies and shared office equipment and physical space
• Manage positive relationships with vendors and building management
• Assist with board meeting logistics, as needed
• Actively participate in organizational Racial Equity work group
• Resolve bookkeeping anomalies in keeping with GAAP standards
• Ensure a clean, healthy and safe workplace.
• Assist as needed with events, either for staff or fundraising
• QuickBooks experience, nonprofit bookkeeping experience preferred
• Ability to manage several projects at one time and see them to completion
• Ability to quickly reprioritize according to emergent demands
• Attention to detail and highly organized
• Communicative, collaborative and willing to step up when necessary to share the Admin Team workload
• Friendly and sociable as this position will be the first impression visitors have of the organization
• Ability to use discretion and be professional at all times
• Experience working with nonprofit fundraising staff
• Experience managing volunteers or interns
• Familiarity with Salesforce database
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite
• Strong interest in learning and assisting with the HR function of our organizations, such as onboarding, benefits administration, retention efforts
• Enthusiasm for learning and using online tools such as, Zoom, Doodle Poll, SignUpGenius, Slack
We also offer a generous benefits package including employer paid medical, vision and dental insurance, 401k plan and organizational match of up to 3% of your annual salary, a flexible spending account, paid vacation and sick leave, ten paid holidays per year, an unlimited ORCA transit pass, and if you work for seven consecutive years you are eligible for a two-month paid sabbatical. We welcome new and diverse people to a great team who together shape environmental protection in Washington.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and a resume. No phone calls or mailed applications please.
Washington Environmental Council is an equal opportunity employer committed to dismantling structural racism and creating a welcoming work environment. WEC does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, gender, religion, marital status, veteran’s status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of all gender identities are encouraged to apply.