Under the direction of the HAP Program Director, Community Affairs and Advocacy Program Manager will have primary responsibilities to lead HAP policy and advocacy work, outreach activities, public awareness campaign, network development, partnership and collaboration engagement and support. The activities involving community affairs and advocacy will support HAP policy priorities, collaborative partnership building and engagement including: improving community health, increasing health access to equitable and quality healthcare at state and regional county levels, building and supporting alliances with community stakeholders and statewide Health Justice Network (HJN) coalition partners and affiliated members; carrying out campaign initiatives to assist implementation of strategies and action plans for Health Care Reform priorities, COVID-19 vaccine community health outreach, mitigation, recovery and resiliency efforts, and other health equity related focuses and priorities, that are imperative for the health and wellness of Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islander (AANHPI) communities and constituencies, immigrants, limited English proficient and vulnerable populations, and other groups and community members in diverse ethnicities. The program manager will also provide administrative and communication support to HAP unit across all programs and staff, and also acquire functional roles to liaise and intersect with other inter-unit teams at the Advancing JusticeLA.
This position is covered under the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
This position ends on May 31, 2022
Duties and Responsibilities
Under supervision of Program Director, lead policy and advocacy activities:
- Promote HAP Conducting and expanding HAP policy and advocacy work priorities through messaging communications, media outreach, and campaigning strategies for the outreach and leadership campaign initiative, health access, health care reform, social determinants of health, COVID-19 vaccine health equity, and related health issue areas.
- Track, monitor, and analyze policy and advocacy developments and priorities at the local, state and national levels which impact the Advancing Justice-LA/HAP.
- Engage in policy and advocacy work through participation in community coalitions, steering committees, other collaborative efforts; coalitional HJN members; coordinate campaign strategies with the Advancing Justice - LA.
- Conduct policy and advocacy activities with HAP teams and collaborative partners, and work with community collaborators and elected officials.
- Coordinate campaign strategies with the Advancing Justice LA; and
- Provide general support to HJN coalition partners and other affiliated coalition network partners, including facilitating periodic monthly HJN partner meetings and providing guidance and support to plan and implement HJN activities.
Under supervision of Program Director, elevate programmatic external profiles; lead outreach and public awareness campaign initiatives, network development, partnership and collaboration engagement activities:
- Identify, facilitate, and implement strategic opportunities for the development and implementation of policy priorities and campaign initiatives associated with HAP goals and scope across state and regional county levels.
- Cultivate external relations with leaders of non-profit agencies (CBOs, FBOs), public and private entities and institutions, government agencies and departments.
- Coordinate regional community and government relations activities and strategies through partnership with regional hubs, community groups and regional counties, statewide COVID-19 vaccine outreach, health equity recovery and resiliency efforts.
- Represent Advancing Justice-LA/HAP to statewide and regional policy, advocacy, and campaign initiatives work groups.
- Design and create community involvement plan engaging community leaders, media, community partners and collaborating institutions;
- Coordinate logistics for events and campaigns ensuring complete and timely service delivery;
- Engage in public speaking forums involving media, roundtables, townhalls, webinars and other communications tools.
Under supervision of Program Director, design and implement program administration and support:
- Assist Program Director in the development of long-term workplans and subcontractual agreements (MOUs) by compiling information and preparing documentation. Review workplans and/or MOUs to ensure that they incorporate community needs, Advancing Justice-LA goals, grant deliverables, reporting guidelines, compliance, reporting, grievances and administrative support.
- Strategize with community members, institutional representatives, agency staff to assess community needs and gaps in services falling under grant guidelines;
- Conduct on-going assessment of community needs using standard departmental formal and informal evaluation methods.
- Develop and maintain systems for documenting and cataloging program work;
Plan, track, write and submit grant compliance reports in accordance with grant-makers guidelines;
All other duties as delegated to current demands and priorities.
Minimum Education and Work Experience
- Bachelors degree in related field (Community Health, Public Health, Health Administration, or relevant graduate degree a plus)
- Minimum 4 years of experience working on health care programs, program management, public relations/community affairs, policy and advocacy, presentations, compliance, and reporting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong organizational skills, with strong attention to detail and task oriented.
- Consensus building, group facilitation and training
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proactive utilization of data: identifying needs, gathering, analyzing and reporting
- Familiarity with publicly funded programs, including Covered California, Medi-Cal and local safety net programs, COVID-19 vaccine outreach, and knowledge of, and interest in, health-related issues, including health care reform, health equity and disparities, and the landscape of the health care system
- Complex and detailed program implementation.
- Sound administrative/procedural decisions and judgement
- Knowledge and experience working with diverse communities and coalitions, especially AANHPI communities, in California
- Strong commitment to social justice.
- Must be creative, self-directed, motivated, organized, comfortable working independently and have the ability to initiate and coordinate projects in a timely manner.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
- Access to reliable means of transportation is a must.
- Design experience, including familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and other software programs a plus
- Strong computer, word processing, and database skills and familiarity and experience with Microsoft Office Suite products.
- Bilingual ability in an Asian American or Pacific Islander language desirable