1625 L Street Northwest
District of Columbia
- Responds to a variety of routine requests. This generally involves searching the files for information on the topic and answering the request, often adapting previous responses to similar requests.
- May develop new resource materials.
- Analyzes city, county, state and other budgets, occupations and industries and policy issues.
- Analyzes state and federal legislative and regulatory initiatives to determine their impact on AFSCME members and make recommendations.
- Works with AFSCME affiliates on implementation of initiatives and develops plans and strategies to achieve representation objectives.
- May give advice during negotiations and impasse procedures.
- Prepares and presents exhibits, summaries and other materials.
- May be asked to prepare and present testimony before city councils, county and state legislatures and the press. Conducts workshops and prepares session outlines and materials for presentations.
- Writes occasional articles, manuals and fact sheets.
- May monitor specialty issues of importance to AFSCME and serve as resource person for both AFSCME staff and affiliates.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with course work in economics, political science, public policy, public administration, and/or labor relations.
- Three (3) to seven (7) years of relevant experience with minimum of at least two years’ experience in a labor organization and the public sector; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to analyze programs and trends affecting the union, workers, and the public sector.
- Ability to independently negotiate collective bargaining issues and develop and implement contract campaign strategies.
- Ability to work with affiliates to plan and execute campaigns to fight privatization, raise revenues or address other issues important to AFSCME members.
- Ability to perform complex and sensitive field assignments and develop new resource materials or programs.
- Computer literate with word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Travel required.
Minimum Education Required