The Professional Staff Congress, AFT Local 2334, is a progressive, activist union representing 28,000 faculty and staff at the City University of New York. The PSC is seeking to hire an Administrative Assistant who will work closely with the PSC Coordinator of Membership. This is a unionized position.
Responsibilities: Under supervision, with modest latitude for independent decision-making:
- Handles and tracks telephone, email, and written inquiries to the Membership and Organizing Department.
- Processes membership cards and changes in database for employees on state and city payroll and filing processed cards.
- Records retirement dates, sends out retiree chapter membership applications and invoices, and assists with posting checks and online payments from retirees.
- Runs database queries to pull organizing data and reports
- Assists with managing the phone banking system
- Provides additional clerical/administrative support to Membership Department and union-wide, as needed.
- Excellent written, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle telephone and email inquiries politely and thoroughly
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment in handling confidential material
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive trade unions and social justice
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Associates degree; B.A. preferred
- At least 3 years of full-time clerical/administrative experience working in higher education, labor organizing, or non-profit administration
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and coordinate input from a variety of sources
- Three (3) employment references
The Professional Staff Congress is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.