2830 South Central Avenue
A Place Called Home is seeking an experienced Senior Accountant
Under the direction of the Finance Director, the Senior Accountant is responsible for maintaining and managing all of the agency’s accounting functions. The Senior Accountant is also responsible for providing support to the Finance Director to ensure that all financial and accounting functions are completed in a timely manner with a very high degree of accuracy.
Job Title: Senior Accountant
Reports to: Finance Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pay Rate: $50,000-$60,000
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the accounting functions including general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivables, fixed assets, depreciation schedule, prepaid schedules, and allocation of administrative overhead expenses.
- Assists with developing and maintaining adequate fiscal internal controls by keeping process records and documentation and alerts the Finance Director of possible deficiencies or areas for improvement
- Maintains and updates APCH’s chart of accounts.
- Tracks and monitors expense receipts and proper expense allocations across multiple departments.
- Prepares accurate payroll journal entries and/or adjustments, and employee benefits activities, as well as helps streamline all aspects of payroll booking and record keeping with the assistance of the Bookkeeper, and in concert with the Human Resources Coordinator.
- Reviews and processes all cash and credit disbursements by setting up proper approval rules in line with current internal controls.
- Establishes a month-end accounting calendar to ensure proper end of month closing activities.
- Conducts month end close of all General Ledger accounts.
- Records adjusting and reclassification journal entries.
- Provides support in the accounts payable and receivables functions to the Bookkeeper..
- Prepares regular financial reports for administrative and board leadership (monthly reports, fundraising event reports, grant reports, capital budget reports).
- Prepares ad hoc reports as requested by management.
- Responsible for daily deposits of donor contributions including cash, checks, credit card, and EFT’s into the Agency’s operating and capital bank accounts.
- Batches and records daily donor contributions in Salesforce.
- Oversees the tracking and reporting on financial transactions and progress in relation to approved budget and alerts the Finance Director of areas of concern.
- With the help from Bookkeeper completes bank, credit card, and investment account reconciliations and cash balance statements.
- Helps reconcile billings to program reports and balance sheet accounts.
- Maintains accounting files, records, documentation (up-to-date files, archiving, ensuring confidentiality, etc.).
- Corresponds with third parties vendors about accounts payables, banking officials, and donors.
- Performs data entry for approved journal entries, including payroll.
- Participates in special finance/accounting projects as assigned by Finance Director.
- Under the direction of the Finance Director gathers and prepares schedules for annual audit and 990 preparation.
- Works as directed in support of the Finance Director.
- Works with Bookkeeper to realize savings from vendors, achieving greater spending efficiencies
- Personal qualities of integrity, honesty and discretion
- Performs other tasks as assigned
To perform this important job successfully, the Senior Accountant must be able to fulfill all of the elements of the Job Description to the highest standard, and be able to work well with colleagues in a high energy, collaborative environment with open communications. A Place Called Home is a learning organization and there is an expectation of continual growth and learning as a community. All employees are expected to contribute to ongoing growth and improvement in their departments via excellent job performance. Additionally, you are expected to speak up if you become aware of deficiencies and needs; and to offer solutions and make suggestions for improvements in your purview areas. Likewise, because each employee and each department is integral to the entire APCH community, we expect that as you focus on your area, you will also consider the big picture and the overall mission of the agency, and communicate with the appropriate individuals if/when you become aware of problems and/or have suggestions for ways and opportunities to make APCH stronger and better. Together, we can continue to take APCH to even higher levels of excellence and service to the community.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in accounting. Master’s degree a plus.
- 5 years experience as a lead accountant in a nonprofit organization, preferably with a budget of $3 million dollars or larger
- Knowledge of best practices in non-profit accounting
- 10-key proficiency
- Knowledge of GAAP for Not-for-Profit organizations
- Extensive knowledge of functional expense allocations
- MAC and PC literate
- Proficiency with The Financial Edge or other fund accounting software
- Familiarity with donor databases. Experience using Salesforce preferred
- Advanced level of Excel including vlookups and pivot tables (Candidate will be tested)
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule
- Must work well with diverse populations of employees, vendors, auditors, donors, and other stakeholders
- Tenacity, grit and the ability to take initiative and get things done with eagerness to go above and beyond and do whatever it takes to get the job done.
Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Life Insurance, Vacation, Sick, Holidays + more!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates, please email resume, cover letter to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include all documents as one pdf file and use “Sr. Accountant” in the subject line.
(E-mail submissions only/No phone inquiries)
Please let us know if you are an APCH Alumnus!
Responses will be sent only to individuals meeting the outlined requirements of the position.
Background screening required/Relevant skills assessment required during screening