Details: Exempt position. Base salary with bonus incentive
1341 East College Avenue
Ten Thousand Villages State College is seeking a Store Manager to assume the operational leadership role in launching its local store. The Store Manager will collaborate with the Board of Directors to provide store management and executive leadership in making State College a self-sustaining market for international, fairly traded artisan products by meeting/exceeding sales and budgetary goals and building a community of committed staff, volunteers and customers. Responsibilities include: day to day operations; recruiting, training and supervising paid staff and un-paid volunteers who are committed ambassadors for the product and mission; and ensuring growth through innovative sales strategies, exemplary customer service, community outreach and education. Must fully embrace the Ten Thousand Villages mission and values of integrity, respect, teamwork, collaboration and diversity.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
Successful candidates will possess an appropriate combination of the following preferences in experience and qualifications.
- Passion for and commitment to Fair Trade practices and the mission of Ten Thousand Villages.
- “Can do” spirit with ability to self-motivate and work independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively with Board members, employees, volunteers, interns, the public and Ten Thousand Villages corporate staff.
- BA/BS degree.
- Three-five years of experience in a retail industry involving inventory maintenance, sales and customer service, including related software.
- An understanding of non-profit organizations with a willingness and ability to work within a non-profit environment.
- Experience in management of people and budgets.
- Experience recruiting and managing volunteers.
- Ability to attractively display merchandise according to Ten Thousand Villages Visual Merchandising standards.
- Experience and innovation in the use of social media in support of retail operations.
- Experience in building community partnerships and conducting outreach.
- Experience in event planning and production.
- Experience with and/or willingness to learn on-going fundraising strategies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, public speaking and community engagement.
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to motivate and influence a team and achieve results through actions and example.
- Ability to execute multiple tasks while attending tochanging priorities, andsimultaneously maintaining awareness for details.
- Ability to creatively think through complex issues, develop strategies and execute them successfully.
- The ability to be mobile on the sales floor for extended periods of time.
- The ability to stand, sit, walk, kneel, reach and talk for up to 8 hours daily.
- The ability to lift and move up to 50 pounds utilizing appropriate equipment and safety techniques.
- The ability to spend extended time computer keyboarding daily.
The Store Manager is accountable for all aspects of the store. He or she provides leadership to achieve or exceed sales and budgetary goals and effectively manage the profit and loss statement of the store. The Store Manager is expected to effectively manage store operations, inventory levels and maintain Ten Thousand Villages Visual Merchandising standards. The Store Manager provides leadership in promoting a sales culture that is positive for all staff and volunteers and builds productivity. He or she is responsible for providing a unique shopping experience for customers and maintaining excellent customer service standards. The Store Manager is responsible for assuring that all staff and volunteers are motivated, knowledgeable and skilled in executing best practices of customer service and sales.
In order to increase the store’s customer base and ensure that Ten Thousand Villages has a prominent identity in the local business community, the Store Manager is responsible for seeking out and developing networking opportunities in the community to educate others on the values of Fair Trade that differentiate Ten Thousand Villages from other retailers. The Store Manager also is responsible for successfully identifying and coordinating off-site sales and on-site special events in ways that contribute to the store’s overall mission and fiscal viability.
Depending on the team dynamic, specific duties within different functional areas, such as Visual Merchandising, Marketing and Communications, Community Outreach and Education, Special Events and Off-site Sales Coordination and Volunteer Recruitment, Training and Coordination, may be delegated to the Assistant Manager or a designated Board member, Committee, Intern or contracted service provider. However, the Store Manager is responsible for oversight and retains overall accountability for the effective execution of these functions.
- Routinely work on the sales floor, utilize active selling techniques, offer excellent customer service, manage shifts to assure optimal sales floor coverage, and ensure adequate staffing for store opening/closing.
- Ensure adequate inventory levels and appropriate product mix for local customer base. Maintain inventory control procedures and identify needs for improvement.
- Conduct an annual physical inventory.
- Ensure appealing visual merchandising of products in line with evolving Ten Thousand Villages Visual Merchandising standards and seasonal expectations, executing display changes and floor moves at appropriate times or as needed.
- Maintain the appearance and cleanliness of the store, including the back office, storage areas and restrooms.
- Ensure that store management procedures are in compliance with good practices of cash handling, purchasing, accounting and other legal requirements.
- Plan and manage organizational operating budget in collaboration with the Board of Directors.
- Work with the Board on identifying, planning and executing on-going fund-raising strategies.
- Recommend improvements in operating procedures to the Board of Directors for implementation.
- Liaison with landlord, neighbors, community, State College Borough, and Ten Thousand Villages regional sales manager, and Ten thousand Villages Corporate.
- Report regularly to the Board of Directors regarding the store including operational, financial, personnel and sales/marketing.
Human Relations and Staff Development
- Ensure appropriate staffing (volunteer and paid).
- In conjunction with the Board Personnel Committee, design staffing plans, position titles/descriptions, evaluation forms and policies to support requirements of the organization.
- In conjunction with the Board Personnel Committee, recruit, interview, select, and conduct evaluations of all paid and volunteer staff.
- Ensure effective management of all staff, volunteers and interns.
- Ensure initial and on-going training and supervision of all paid and volunteer staff.
- Develop a paid and volunteer staff whose work exemplifies Ten Thousand Villages standards of customer service and effective selling techniques.
- Provide on-going opportunities for staff development, conduct performance reviews, address complaints and resolve problems.
- Adhere to and enforce organizational human resource policies and procedures in accordance with legal requirements.
Sales and Marketing
- Work with the Board Marketing Committee to create and implement a marketing strategy to increase salesin accordance with budget and overall organizational goals.
- Maintain market awareness in retail industry and be proactive in planning customer and community initiatives.
- Nurture and develop community partnerships and relationships in conjunction with the Ten Thousand Villages brand.
- Provide oversight of customer base growth through outreach and sales events.
- Plan, develop and coordinate special events, demonstrations, and other marketing and fundraising activities.
The Store Manager is accountable to the Board of Directors. Reviews of the position and performance shall occur at one month, three months, and then annually. Employment is considered to be at will.
The Store Manager position is an exempt, full time position (approximately 40 hours per week). Successful candidates must be flexible in scheduling and able to work: 1) opening and/or closing shifts at least three times per week; 2) a minimum of two Saturdays and two Sundays per month; 3) during annual inventories; and 4) during the entire holiday season (October – December). Vacation is not allowed during the holiday season. During the first month of employment, five consecutive days of off-site training and three consecutive days of attendance at Ten Thousand Villages National Workshops is required.
Ten Thousand Villages State College is an equal opportunity employer.
Paid Time Off
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please be prepared to supply three professional references.