Details: Competitive. Commensurate with experience
21-12 30th Road
Director of Education
Variety Boys & Girls Club of Queens seeks a Director of Education to oversee all aspects of designing and implementing core educational programs across our focus areas (STEM, Creative Arts, Healthy Living, and Personal Development).
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Education Director will join a fast growing organization with high expectations for success. S/he will employ creativity to build innovative programs that set our organization apart.
For a recent feature on a program, watch: https://www.youtube.com/embed/HKwbOM2rJRE?rel=0
To learn more about our organization, watch: https://www.youtube.com/embed/MDYXUP2Oy0g?rel=0
Program & partnership highlights:
- Technology Makerspace that connects local professionals in the tech industry to collaborate with our kids on 3D printing, robotics, coding, and other projects.
- Digital design & architecture in partnership with Skanska, the same engineers who are rebuilding La Guardia airport.
- JetBlue-sponsored "Science Hubs", NASA-funded robotics, and Samsung- supported DiY STEM programs.
- Science Exploration with partner BioBus: Our kids get to work with real-life scientists who guide them on experiments using sophisticated microscopes and equipment.
- Gourmet cooking and healthy eating with partner Brighter Bites: On Fridays, families are offered two free bags of fresh produce to bring home with the exact same ingredients their children learned to cook with that week.
- In our media production program supported by MLB, our kids just produced enough films to host their own festival, the Variety international Film Festival.
- Develop future program vision in coordination with the Executive Director.
- Create curriculum for high-quality, innovative youth programs that give our children an edge in life.
- Design and implement lesson planning system in coordination with Program Director, Site Directors, program facilitators, and partners. Activities should be designed to run seamlessly across our 4 program sites, including the Astoria Boys & Girls Club and our growing list of school-based sites.
- Lead frequent professional development trainings and provide instructional coaching to program facilitators.
- Further grow and improve existing programs while developing new programs in areas such as academic support, college & career readiness, and early childhood education.
- Manages existing relations with key program partners that impact youth programming. As a community center, partnerships are a defining aspect of our program model.
- Builds new partnerships to elevate programming opportunities and spur innovation.
- Design key metrics to track program effectiveness and ensure that data is being reported and reviewed.
· Four-year degree in related field (e.g., education, child development, recreation and leisure, etc.) from an accredited college or university.
· A minimum five years of progressively responsible work experience planning and supervising activities based on the developmental needs of young people.
· Demonstrated ability to build and manage educational partnerships.
· Proven skills to design creative programming and systems to implement across program sites.
· Demonstrated ability to handle multiple demands from several people
· Ability to meet deadlines with severe time constraints
· Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
· Proficient in Internet use, Microsoft Office, and Google apps.
Preferred qualifications that are a plus:
· Masters Degree in Education/experience as an educator.
Anticipated start date: August 15, 2017
Background on Variety:
Based in Astoria, Queens, the Variety Boys & Girls Club of Queens is the largest youth development program in the area serving 4,000 young people and their families. We give our children the opportunity to discover their passions and prepare to become tomorrow's leaders.
Our main club facility spans 1.5 acres and features a pool, gymnasium, theater, black box, makerspace, digital learning lab, teaching kitchen, art studio, and media production center.
To learn more about what we do, visit our website at VBGCQ.org
Variety Boys & Girls Club of Queens offers a highly competitive compensation package that includes:
· Medical coverage
· Employer-funded 401(a) retirement plan
· Generous vacation and workplace environment
Minimum Education Required