28 West 44th Street
The mission of the Breast Cancer Research Foundation is to prevent and cure breast cancer by advancing the world's most promising research. Founded by Evelyn H. Lauder in 1993, BCRF-funded investigators have been deeply involved in every major breakthrough in breast cancer prevention, diagnosis, treatment and survivorship. This year, BCRF is awarding $63 million in grants to support the work of nearly 300 scientists at leading medical and academic institutions across 14 countries, making BCRF the largest private funder of breast cancer research worldwide. BCRF is also the highest-rated breast cancer nonprofit in the U.S. Visit www.bcrf.org to learn more.
BCRF is looking for a highly motivated and results-oriented development professional to join the growing Development team. The Assistant Director, Stewardship and Donor Relations will play a key role in managing donor recognition, identifying donor engagement opportunities, planning donor stewardship events, and overall cultivation strategies to maximize donor relations.
The Assistant Director, Stewardship and Donor Relations will work independently, under the direction of the Managing Director, Stewardship & Major Gifts, to develop processes, implement strategy and launch a range of innovative stewardship opportunities to appropriately and consistently interact with, recognize, and cultivate major and individual donors.
To effectively fulfill the responsibilities of the position, this candidate will require the ability to write clearly and elegantly, concisely, quickly and effectively with a strength in adapting their writing style to a variety of authors and signatories. The candidate will work closely with BCRF leadership and a myriad of staff to facilitate and streamline organizational processes and procedures with the goal of improved recognition opportunities for major donors, stewardship, and engagement.
· Collaborate on strategy, design, implementation and management of cultivation and stewardship efforts to maximize donor relations with established and new donors.
· Work closely with the Managing Director, Stewardship & Major Gifts to identify and generate engagement opportunities and new initiatives to enhance major donor experiences.
· Work collaboratively with BCRF leaders primarily in the Science/Research and Development areas as well as with Communications and Partnerships in developing meaningful recognition opportunities around emerging major research initiatives. Serve as a strategic stewardship partner for all of these groups.
· Develop elevation strategies for donors across multiple areas (i.e. donor recipients for humanitarian awards, and service openings with volunteer leadership for both Advisory Board and event committees).
· Work in conjunction with the CEO, CDO, DOD, Managing Director, Stewardship & Major Gifts to support growing stewardship needs throughout the year to ensure BCRF’s most generous donors are engaged and informed of the impact of their gifts including management and execution of stewardship events, donor milestone recognition, and writing and submitting personalized impact reports.
· Support the CDO and Managing Director, Stewardship & Major Gifts in the identification and recruitment efforts for candidates to the Board of Directors and the Advisory Board through research and management of a tracking pipeline. Provide written materials as appropriate to executive and volunteer leadership to facilitate review and recruitment.
· Manage tracking processes regarding recognition, acknowledgements, on-going communications and continued cultivation of past and current major donors to continually enhance their relationship with the organization. Recommend strategies to enhance processes, increase efficiency, and solve data gaps.
· Maintain accurate and complete records of communications with donors in CRM, the Raiser’s Edge.
· Develop and lead major donor gratitude initiatives in coordination with Managing Director, Stewardship & Major Gifts and DOD, i.e. personalized thank you letters, post-event gifts and photos, and additional bespoke touchpoints for Boston, NYC, and other major markets.
· Work with the Managing Director, Stewardship & Major Gifts and the Science Writer, manage and execute all progress reporting to Foundation and Individual donors above $250,000; work closely with the Science/Research team to communicate appropriately with major donors.
· Prepare correspondence from Board Co-Chairs and Honorary Chair to high-net-worth individual event donors and principal gift donors as a part of ongoing high-touch, high-yield stewardship efforts, at the direction of the CEO, CDO and Managing Director, Stewardship & Major Gifts.
· Represent and promote the values of BCRF to internal and external parties.
· Conduct other duties related to fostering the strategic direction of BCRF-wide stewardship and donor relations may be assigned.
· Collaborate with the Director of Signature Events and Development, honorees, and event leadership in the creation and implementation of fundraising and relationship management strategies for major donors, sponsors and event leadership of the NY Annual October Symposium & Awards Luncheon ($2.5M) and the NY Hot Pink Party ($5M - $6M).
· Collaborate with the Director of Regional Events and Development, honorees, and event leadership on the Boston and other major-market fundraising and relationship management strategy under the direction of the CDO and Development & Events area.
· 5-7 years of progressively responsible experience in a development setting, preferably in a health and/or research non-profit environment;
· Undergraduate degree required; Master’s degree and/or experience working on capital campaigns preferred;
· Demonstrated outstanding written communication skills with exceptional attention to grammar and proven experience writing and submitting grant proposals that were successful in securing support are essential; writing samples will be requested;
· Ability to prepare and edit effective correspondence, proposals, creative solicitation, and progress reporting materials;
· Proven interpersonal skills to work effectively with BCRF senior leadership, donors, prospects and volunteers;
· Highly skilled with Microsoft Office Suite, with particular strengths in Excel, Word, and Powerpoint. Must be computer and internet proficient, with the ability to learn CRM database;
· Ability to maintain high level of confidentially and strong, collaborative working relationships with colleagues;
· Demonstrated ability to multi-task while maintaining a high level of accuracy;
· High degree of initiative and resourcefulness, with the ability to work independently and perform under pressure in a fast-paced office environment with limited supervision;
· Demonstrated oral communication skills to make persuasive presentations to individuals and groups;
· Flexible and adaptable to take on new responsibilities within a growing program;
· Positive and solution-oriented attitude;
· Can inspire others – is creative, diplomatic, entrepreneurial;
· Raiser’s Edge database experience, a strong plus.
The ideal candidate will have exceptional written communication skills, discipline, good intuition, discretion, excellent interpersonal skills, and is a positive, proactive, professional team player. BCRF offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified applicants should submit their application as one PDF file or Word file via e-mail and are required to include a cover letter and resume that detail the applicant’s qualifications and specific interest in the position. Links to websites such as LinkedIn may be provided in addition to a resume but are not a substitute for a cover letter and resume. Submissions without a cover letter will not be considered.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via email to DevelopmentHire@bcrf.org, with the following subject line of email: [Your Last Name] – Assistant Director, Stewardship and Donor Relations
Thank you for your interest. Due to the high volume of applications, we may reply only to those who meet our selection criteria. All inquiries will be held in confidence. Please refrain from telephone calls, visits, faxes or additional emails.
The Breast Cancer Research Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.