Who We Are
KIPP SoCal Public Schools is a network of 20 high-performing, college-preparatory public charter schools. We educate more than 9,000 students in grades pre-K through eighth in the greater Los Angeles area and San Diego. Additionally, we support approximately 5,100 alumni on their journey to and through high school and college.
What We Believe
KIPP SoCal believes that the purpose of education is for liberation. This means that we see, develop, and inspire the limitless potential in each and all of our KIPPsters.
What We Do
At KIPP SoCal we build trusting relationships that are strengthened by high expectations and collaboration alongside laughter and joy. We set ambitious goals and hold each other accountable for students achieving their greatest potential. We work together with each other and in partnership with families and communities in the active pursuit of a more equitable world. We do the right thing, even when it’s not convenient or comfortable standing up and speaking out against anti-blackness, racism, oppression, and injustice. We persevere through obstacles and treat failure as an opportunity to learn and grow.
You Should Apply If
You're a mission-driven professional who thrive on building long-lasting relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. You like to set ambitious goals and have a clear understanding of how to persevere through those challenges. You're a self-starter that loves to collaborate with their team members to get the job done.
What You'll Do
- The Associate Director of Development - Annual Fund & Individual Gifts is a frontline fundraiser responsible for: managing a portfolio of 100-150 donor and prospect relationships; identifying and qualifying new KIPP SoCal prospects; and deepening relationships with established champions through the oversight and management of the KIPP SoCal Annual Fund.
- Reporting to the Director of Development, the Associate Director of Development - Annual Fund & Individual Gifts will also work with KIPP SoCal’s CEO, other members of the senior leadership team, and team members across the organization. The Associate Director will be a member of KIPP SoCal’s Development team, which is part of the larger External Impact team. The Development team is responsible for meeting its annual fundraising goal through the solicitation of private funding through annual fund appeals, major gifts, grants, corporate partnerships, and events. The External Impact team is responsible for external relations, which includes producing regional marketing material, brand management, public and media relations, volunteer management, events, government relations, community engagement, advocacy, and the KIPP SoCal website.
- Cultivate and solicit donors in the $2,500 - $25,000 range, with the ability to solicit up to $50,000+ gifts and lead the acquisition of new donors, including: identifying and qualifying new prospects; crafting engagement strategies and cultivating relationships, ultimately leading to a solicitation.
- Using moves management strategies, move top Annual Fund donors to major gift giving levels ($25,000+)
- Closely monitor all current and prospective donors to ensure positive and purposeful relationships and engagement
Annual Fund Strategy Development & Execution
- In collaboration with the Director of Development, create, implement, and evaluate the fiscal year Annual Fund strategy - outlining monthly activities and associated targets with the support of the Stewardship & Events Manager.
- Activities include: Giving Tuesday, End of Year Campaign, and End of Fiscal Year Campaign, and others as assigned and/or developed with emphasis on engagement of lybunts and sybunts.
- Provide oversight for the creation and distribution of Development focused communication pieces led by Stewardship & Events Manager and supported by the X-Team Associate ( e.g. monthly annual fund appeal email, pledge reminders, renewal requests, acknowledgement letters, and development website messaging).
- In Collaboration with the Director of Development and Development Team members, support the development and execution of the broader fiscal year Department strategic plan, with an emphasis on outlining department goals and associated activities throughout the year, determining metrics for success for those activities, and how best to engage our internal and external partners in our work.
- Support the alignment of fundraising efforts to key priorities and imperatives of KIPP SoCal, establishing a close feedback loop between key donors and KIPP SoCal leadership and teams, as appropriate.
- Provide input into department protocols with the goal of creating and maintaining sustainable systems that create efficiencies in our work.
- Provide general support to Development Team initiative and events.
- Provide outstanding customer service to donors, Board of Directors, and other internal (team members) and external stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned; As necessary, take leadership of impromptu initiatives and/or projects that are either aligned with portfolio, Annual Fund oversight, and/or in support of Development goals and objectives.
You'll Be Qualified If You Have
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution; Master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years of work experience in a professional environment, with frontline fundraising experience ー ideally in a nonprofit setting in the areas of Major Gifts and/or Annual Giving, and as part of a Capital Campaign
- Capability to personally build, develop, and retain strong relationships with internal (Development Team, External Impact Team, KIPP SoCal team members, including Senior Leadership, etc.) and external stakeholders (donors, prospects, volunteers, community leaders, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal skills and desire to provide a high level of customer service to both the internal teams and external stakeholders.
- Self-starter with ability to prioritize among competing goals and initiate process improvements, who is flexible and willing to contribute when needed
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and experience working with a CRM such as Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge, Advance, Neon or other donor management databases preferred
- Strong achievement orientation with exceptional time management skills and demonstrated ability to multitask
- Strong sense of fundraising ethics and practices, and respect for confidentiality of donor information.