Sandy Hook Promise seeks an experienced community engagement coordinator to join our policy and advocacy team and organize and mobilize SHP’s Promise Leader volunteers, base, and partners to advance SHP’s goals. The policy and advocacy team is currently working on school safety, mental health, and gun safety policy – a comprehensive approach to gun violence prevention. This position is critical to SHP’s success and will require creativity and drive.
The National Engagement Coordinator reports to SHP’s Vice President of Policy and Partnerships. The preference is for this position to be based in Washington, DC.
- Organize and mobilize SHP’s Promise Leaders and Promise Leader Ambassadors nationally to advance state and federal policy and issue campaigns
- Activate and engage strategic partners and alliances at the state and national level in support of SHP initiatives
- Manage CRM and mobile messaging advocacy systems
- Work with policy team to create and execute largescale advocacy calls to action and events for Promise Leaders, base, and partners to drive policy awareness and support
- Use independent judgment and discretion to develop and deliver Promise Leader toolkits, resources, and education activities to build their advocacy skills and engagement
- Maintain and update Promise Leader contacts and database to record specific advocacy actions taken in order to inform advocacy strategy and move Promise Leaders them up the ladder of engagement.
- Carry out major organizing assignments in relation to SHP’s policy advocacy operations
- Work with Media & Marketing team to identify Promise Leaders and share their advocacy stories with lawmakers, in the media, and on social media.
- Travel on behalf of the organization and serving as a representative at events (30-40%)
Desired Skills and Experience
- Commitment to Sandy Hook Promise’s mission and goals
- 2+ years working relevant community organizing/advocacy
- Experience with SalesForce or other CRMs
- Experience with social media, online organizing strategies, and content development
- Excellent speaking, writing, and analytical skills
- Able to translate policy into clear and actionable content in person and on paper
- Ability to be self-motivated and also a team player
- Public speaking skills and willingness to speak on behalf of organization
- Effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations
- Ability to meet multiple, shifting deadlines and priorities with nimbleness and flexibility while maintaining a perspective on long-term goals
SHP offers a competitive salary based on experience, benefits, 401k, paid holidays and vacation.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish language skills a plus
Minimum Education Required