The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Budget & Reporting Officer or Sr. Budget & Reporting Officer. The position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Budget & Reporting Officer reports to the Sr. Manager, Financial Analysis and performs a variety of financial and administrative duties that supports NED’s sound financial stewardship of its federal funding through employing cost-effective budgeting principles. Primary responsibilities include close collaboration with program, project, and administrative budget managers to develop discrete and organizational budgets that are complete, accurate and in compliance with federal spending regulations. The Budget & Reporting Officer monitors monthly spending to ensure that it is within budget, provides departmental budget analysis, project spending status and available funds reports, and responds to ad hoc data requests. Works closely with the Accounting team.
- Budget Development: Collaborates with and evaluates individual budget manager’s proposals to ensure donor cost allowability, reasonableness of estimates, and proper and consistent categorization of costs; organizes and consolidates budget data and templates in a clear and intuitive manner, and provides detailed explanations to support decision-making.
- Budget Monitoring: Ensures spending is consistent with use planning and approved budgets, while recommending realignments that may be necessary based on changes in specific circumstances and need; proactively works with budget managers to achieve necessary outcomes.
- Financial Expenditure Reviews: Analyzes and interprets accounting records as related to expenditures and reviews the impact of prepaid / accrued costs to ensure designation in the proper period and projects results; discusses any required reclassifications with the Accounting staff.
- Contract Support: Provides cost-benefit analysis for contracting with vendors and consultants on a fixed-fee deliverable basis to support best value financial decisions.
- Internal Monthly Reporting: Employs efficient reporting techniques for ongoing business review and trend analysis; reports performance against approved budget plans to help ensure that contractual, cost, and schedule objectives are met; forecasts and tracks financial results throughout the year for alignment with budget projections; provides departmental and project cost summary status reports to management; prepares monthly metrics reports, and other internal management reports as required.
- External Periodic Reporting: Prepares external regulatory and information reports, such as quarterly Federal Financial Reports, periodic U.S. Census Surveys, annual Form 990 schedules, etc.
- Budget / Accounting System Data Management: Performs award and necessary accounting dimension setup, and establishes system validation rules in tandem with the Accounting Manager to support proper capture of expenditures at initial data entry.
- Budget Tool Development & User Training: Supports the Sr. Manager, Financial Analysis with the identification and implementation of an integrated budget tool to replace current spreadsheet management; conducts ongoing user training on existing Excel-based templates and future tools as needed.
- Ad hoc Financial Analysis: Supports requests from Finance management and other managers to provide proactive financial analysis, which may include forecasting organizational year-end spending, small grant and project spending status, and reviews of specific vendor / consultant contract performance, etc.
- Responds to all information requests from management and colleagues in a timely manner.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field is required. Additional certification is a plus.
- Experience required for:
- Level 6 (Sr. Budget & Reporting Officer) 8+ years
- Level 5 (Budget & Reporting Officer) 4+ years
- Preferably in a mission-driven, international nonprofit organization subject to USG regulations and related financial compliance, including working knowledge and practical application of the OMB Uniform Guidance specific to cost principles, procurement practices and other administrative requirements.
- Demonstrated knowledge in financial analysis, report generation, and data presentation.
- Experience with robust financial solutions, data analytics and reporting tools, including data visualization; Microsoft Dynamics NAV (Serenic Navigator / MS 365 Business Central) preferred and Jet reports is a plus.
- Advanced use of Excel spreadsheets.
- Other Qualifications:
- Strong understanding of accounting and financial concepts, budget development, and use of financial modeling with application of appropriate drivers and metrics.
- Keen analytical, problem solving and financial troubleshooting skills.
- Strong attention to details and accuracy in all work products.
- Willingness to work extra hours during peak workload periods, especially around program planning cycles and organizational budget development cycles.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Paramount professional integrity, honesty, initiative, confidentiality, and dependability.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to confidently and effectively interact with all levels of staff.
- Effective in translating financial terms for finance and non-finance personnel.
- Ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures.
- Flexibility in approach to work processes and tasks, with ability to prioritize and effectively multitask, and work effectively under time pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Communicates timely and professionally.
- Commitment and ability to excel in a fast-paced environment.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references. Please, no phone calls. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org or firstname.lastname@example.org.