114 Linden Street
The mission of Techbridge Girls (TBG), an award-winning nonprofit with a proven, data-driven model, is to empower girls to realize their dreams through science, technology, and engineering. Techbridge Girls’ after-school and summer programs inspire 4th through 12th grade girls, specifically girls of color from underserved communities to change the world, providing girls with hands-on projects and career exploration through innovative curriculum, role models, and field trips. Techbridge Girls builds the confidence, problem-solving skills, perseverance, and public speaking abilities in the girls we reach that will serve them well in their careers. Building on 16 years of experience, Techbridge Girls’ after-school programs have served over 6,000 girls in the San Francisco Bay Area, Greater Seattle and Washington D.C. Techbridge Girls’ holistic approach gives girls a strong support network that includes their peers, teachers, families, and role models.
Using an ecosystem approach, Techbridge Girls has created a strong platform for STEM professional development that expands the capacity of partner organizations and individuals to deliver high-quality STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) programming with a focus on equity. Through partnerships with school districts, youth development organizations such as Girl Scouts and YMCA, and other partners, Techbridge Girls has reached over 20,000 adults through trainings and resources for role models, after-school staff, and families. Our goal is to expand our reach through increased technical assistance and resources to support partnerships with the objective of impacting over 200,000 more youth in the next five years. Techbridge Girls uses data to both constantly monitor and improve its programming and inform the field of research with learnings and best practices.
Founded in 2000 as a program of Chabot Space & Science Center, Techbridge Girls spun off as an independent 501(c)(3) in 2011. With an annual organizational budget of approximately $3 million and 25 employees, Techbridge Girls is poised for bold growth to increase its impact. While Techbridge Girls does not currently meet the federal award threshold for a Single Audit, it is a possibility in future fiscal years. For more information, please visit www.techbridgegirls.org
Reporting to the Chief Operations Officer (COO), the Controller will lead all day-to-day operations of the finance department while ensuring compliance with GAAP and other applicable standards, rules and regulations. The Controller will also collaborate with a variety of internal stakeholders, including executive-level staff and other department directors on budgets and financial reporting.
The Controller will be charged with identifying new opportunities to improve efficiencies, eliminate backlogs, and respond proactively to other department needs. S/he will analyze existing processes, work closely with the COO and finance staff to streamline current systems, leverage new finance-related information technology tools, and refine standard operating procedures to provide maximum benefit to the organization.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a proactive, hands-on finance manager who brings a successful track record of creative problem-solving, strengthening infrastructure, and customer service to work in a mission-driven organization.
Strategic Financial Management
- Manage all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements. Maintain internal control safeguards.
- Manage the month-end and year-end close process accurately and on time.
- Prepare monthly financial reports for internal stakeholders including the board of directors. Monitor monthly progress and refine and/or develop appropriate financial metrics.
- Collaborate with members of the senior leadership team in drafting, reviewing, and verifying accuracy of annual budgets and reports by department.
- Implement consistent accounting policies, practices, and procedures across all programs.
- Manage cash flow and forecasting for all of TBG.
- Optimize the handling of banking relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash positions.
- Lead the annual audit and 990 processes and if need be, a Single Audit process as well.
- Other duties as needed.
- Supervise the finance department, comprised of a Staff Accountant (direct report) and Bookkeeper (supervised by the Staff Accountant). Train and develop the staff, as needed.
- Manage work load issues and strengthen communication within and outside the department.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Prior nonprofit finance experience with a 5+ year successful track record in a senior financial management role.
- Demonstrable experience in creating and developing the analytic framework for planning and managing organizational change in financial systems; ability to anticipate the financial infrastructure and systems needs in a national, multi-site nonprofit.
- Recognized success in developing and monitoring systems to manage both internal operations and the financial effectiveness of various programs that involve high levels of collaboration, particularly with program directors and other senior leadership.
- Keen analytic, organization, and problem-solving skills that support and enable sound decision making in a complex organization; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems.
- An accessible, visible, and flexible management style that inspires trust and confidence in staff to work hard and well together.
- Direct and concise communication skills; an active listener; ability to translate complex financial concepts to individuals with varying degrees of financial fluency.
- Technologically savvy with the ability to manage data for efficient and effective financial reporting.
- Personal qualities of integrity and credibility, and a commitment to the mission of Techbridge Girls.
- Solid understanding of GAAP. Knowledge of 2 CFR Part 200 a plus.
- Experience in multi-state operations a plus.
- BA or BS required. CPA or MBA a plus.
- This position based in Oakland. Competitive salary DOE. Generous health, vacation, and retirement benefits as well.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your cover letter, including compensation requirements, and resume with the subject “Controller”. Please include how you heard about this opportunity. This position will remain open until filled. Job requires a background and credit check.
Techbridge Girls values a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.