29-76 Northern Blvd.
Long Island City
Unit: Care Management Unit
Reports to: Senior Director, Care Management Unit
Status: Full Time; Regular; Exempt
Location: Bronx and Long Island City
Days/Hours: 5 Days/Week
Date Prepared: February 27, 2018
The Fortune Society has an immediate opening for a dynamic, entrepreneurial and experienced Care Manager to join our rapidly-expanding patient-centric Health Home care management practice throughout the Bronx. Our ideal candidate is fully versed in the NY State policies and procedures as they relate to Health Home care management agencies, as well as all the major database systems and health portals affiliated with this sector. S/he will work both independently and collaboratively to build and coordinate the activities of the Bronx care team, serving criminally justice involved patients with complex medical and/or mental health conditions, many of whom are transient or un-domiciled.
Fortune’s Care Management Unit (CMU) employs a truly unique approach to health home care management. We empower our workers to identify and execute creative, meaningful pathways to providing health care coordination services for high utilization Medicaid clients with criminal justice histories who have chronic health and mental health conditions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actualize and maintain compliance of the duties listed in the policies and procedures of the assigned Health Home;
- Coordinate Plan of Care for clients with criminal justice histories and chronic medical and/or mental health conditions that put them at risk for hospitalization or recidivism;
- Work closely with the interdisciplinary care team including the PCP, psychiatrist, therapist, residential service providers, DHS case workers, substance abuse treatment programs, ACT teams, HCBS partners, family members, etc.;
- Coordinate and supervise the daily activities of the care navigator(s) to ensure that all services delivered are within the scope of the Plan of Care and that accurate records of needs/progress/regress are maintained, as per NYS DOH Medicaid guidelines;
- Include input from providers/client/client’s family for written individualized Plans of Care and consults with family members, parole and probation as necessary;
- In conjunction with the client and care navigator, identify potential barriers to care and strategies for overcoming those barriers, including those relating to medication compliance;
- Evaluate and provides appropriate follow up care for clients who have been hospitalized or seen in the ER;
- If alerts for legal system involvement are received, ensure that follow up activities are commenced in an effort to support the member’s successful long term return to his/her community;
- Participate in conferences, workshops and other professional development activities to remain current with advances in field of expertise; and
- Perform additional responsibilities as needed.
Assigns and supervises the day-to-day activities of the Care Navigator(s) and peer escort assigned to his/her Health Home. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training select employees; planning, assigning, and directing workload; appraising performance; addressing employee performance issues and resolving problems in conjunction with the senior director of the Care Management Unit.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology, nursing, rehabilitation, education, occupational therapy, physical therapy, counseling, community mental health, or other human services field strongly preferred;
- Must have a minimum of 2 years of experience as a health home care manager with supervisory experience; directly related experience in healthcare or mental health field considered;
- Must have strong working knowledge of the Bronx, including health and social services available to clients living in this area;
- Must have, or receive HARP certification prior to engagement with the clients under his or her assigned Health Home;
- Ability to demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills through reports, correspondence and presentations;
- Proficiency in MAPP, ePaces, PSYCHES, as well as MS Office and Excel
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills; ability to manage competing priorities within a growing unit;
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish strongly preferred in order to best suit the clients who reside in this area; and
- We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Travel Requirements – Will require travel throughout the Bronx, as well as to Fortune’s locations in Harlem and Long Island City. Additional travel to clients’ locations, when necessary, to ensure continued progress of Plan of Care. MetroCard transportation is provided to staff for all client-related activities.
Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
must apply online: