Details: Commensurate with experience
New York Public Radio's mission is to make the mind more curious, the heart more open and the soul more joyful through excellent audio programming that is deeply rooted in New York.
The NYPR Engineering Manager is responsible for the upkeep, modification, testing and documentation of the company’s broadcast systems within the NYPR studio facility as well as the leadership and management of the company’s Maintenance and Master Control engineers.
The position serves in part as the key technical liaison to operations staff and programming talent on a day-by-day basis and will possess a thorough technical acumen of the broadcast plant to effectively problem solve during technical emergencies and communicate changes effectively to all. The position requires not only extensive experience in engineering but also proven experience in managing technical personnel and the ability to communicate complex technical information to non-technical broadcast staff.
- Oversee and provide hands on maintenance, modification, testing and documentation of the station’s broadcast facility including but not limited to the following technology: Sierra Automation Systems and Axia audio routing and mixing platforms, broadcast computer KVM technology, audio and control interfaces with the DAVID and NexGen on-air delivery systems, terrestrial and streaming release paths, NPR uplink and downlink systems and all associated broadcast facility equipment.
- Manage the Maintenance Dept. and Master Control Engineering staff: set goals and priorities and evaluate the performance in these positions. Manage and schedule per diem engineers for temporary backfill of these positions, as needed. With the HR department, recruit to fill positions as needed.
- Research, design, execute and train personnel in new and existing equipment/technology/procedures for broadcast transmission and systems.
- Provide project management for the Maintenance Dept.; hold regular meetings with the Maintenance engineers to track progress of projects and advise the team on changing priorities. Check project documentation to ensure drawing and documentation standards are maintained.
- Maintain all broadcast technical standards as set by Chief Technology Officer, Director of Engineering and Assistant Director of Engineering.
- In coordination with the Director of Engineering and the Assistant Director of Engineering document and maintain engineering policies and procedures, especially in regard to Master Control operating procedures as well as plant wiring and documentation standards and change management policy.
Necessary skills and experience:
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage technical personnel in a live broadcast environment, required
- Demonstrated strong organizational and project management skills, required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and follow through on projects to completion, required
- Excellent judgment and ability to effectively handle complex issues under pressure or during emergency situations, required
- Excellent interpersonal skills, required
- Flexibility to work extended hours, evening and/or weekends as needed, required
- Ability to communicate complex technical information to technical and nontechnical audiences, preferred
- Bachelor's degree in an appropriate technical discipline, required
- Advanced degree/certifications, preferred
- Minimum five years progressively responsible engineering experience focusing on technical personnel management and budget management, required
- Knowledge of current broadcast, production and IT technologies and trends, required
New York Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Minimum Education Required