About Brooklyn Boatworks
The mission of Brooklyn Boatworks is to encourage, inspire and empower young people through the unique craft of wooden boatbuilding and on-the-water experiences. Our vision is a New York City where all children have the opportunity to experience the rewards, accomplishments and thrill of hand crafting and sailing their own boat. We teach and promote the values of learning by doing, cooperation, perseverance and craftsmanship.
Our boat building program uses traditional wooden boat building as a means to support positive youth development. We work with students to build Optimist prams, small sailboats used worldwide by thousands of young people. Small teams of students work together to build and rig their sailboat constructed out of plywood using simple hand tools. We actively engage students in all phases of the building process, including model building, learning basic tool safety, lofting, sawing, laminating and finishing.
Our programs include enrichment lessons and activities designed to bolster students’ understanding and application of STEM skills.
Position: Part-Time Instructor (7-10 hours/week)
- Serve as a project-based instructor for students, between ages 10 and 15. If you have hands-on and tool skills, we will train in boat construction.
- Work with teacher partners and volunteers to provide a safe, nurturing and academically rich learning environment in the classroom at all times
- Work with teacher partner and other school personnel as necessary to support individual students’ success in our program, and in school
· Utilize assessment tools in the classroom to ensure that students are meeting learning objectives
· Carry out administrative duties related to classroom management including maintaining a student roster, updating the roster, and printing materials for the classroom
· Serve as an organizational ambassador in schools and with partner agencies
· Additional duties as required
- Instructional and/or teaching experience with young people required
- Proven experience leading young people in a respectful manner
- Woodworking experience, skilled with hand tools
- Experience following lesson plans and build plans
- Flexibility and an ability to change direction in the classroom in order to engage all students
- Strong communication skills and outstanding critical thinking skills
- Ability to work after-school hours (between 2pm and 6pm) at least one day per week
- Belief in Brooklyn Boatworks’ mission, vision, and values
- Desire to work as a team at a small but mighty non-profit organization
- Experience working inside New York City public schools a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, using subject line: Part-Time Instructor. Please, no phone calls.
Brooklyn Boatworks is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, women, and individuals from the many communities we serve to apply.