433 California Street
EducationSuperHighway is the leading non-profit focused on upgrading the Internet access in every public school classroom in America. We believe that digital learning has the potential to provide all students with equal access to educational opportunity and that every school requires high-speed broadband to make that opportunity a reality.
In partnership with governors and state agencies, we work with school districts to get fiber to schools that need it, to ensure classrooms have robust Wi-Fi, and to make broadband more affordable. Our work served as a catalyst for modernization of the Federal Communications Commission’s $3.9 billion E-rate program and spurred commitment from 48 governors to upgrade their schools. As a result, 30 million more students gained access to high-speed broadband in the past three years and we expect to connecting the remaining students by 2020.
EducationSuperHighway is funded by national philanthropic organizations including the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and our mission is supported by America’s leading CEOs.
The marketing team has two primary objectives: 1) build awareness of and drive demand for EducationSuperHighway programs and tools among school district leaders and service providers and 2) promote the EducationSuperHighway brand as a credible, trusted expert on Internet in schools. A third objective, which is taking shape as we near the end of our mission, is to use our experience and learning to inspire others in the social impact space. The nine-person marketing team is responsible for:
· National marketing including brand, PR, social, search, advertising, content
· Product marketing for our ground-breaking transparency tool, Compare & Connect K-12, as well as a new data product that will be released in the coming year.
· Field marketing also known as our multi-channel state-specific marketing campaigns
As Vice President of Marketing and Communications, you will be responsible for setting the marketing team vision for the remaining two years of our mission. With that, you will play a key role in unlocking new channels to the last remaining schools that need to upgrade. You will shape the marketing strategy for an entirely new data product. And, you will lead a critical piece of work telling the EducationSuperHighway story to the world. You will set ambitious goals and guide a high-performing team to success. This is a unique opportunity to have a huge impact on the education of millions of students across the U.S. This role reports to the Founder & CEO.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Marketing vision and planning
· Develop and implement a strategic vision for the marketing team through 2020 that is aligned to organizational goals and priorities
· Collaborate with cross-functional teams to drive vision forward
· Act as internal champion for the marketing team
Marketing execution and tracking
· Manage day-to-day operations of the marketing team to ensure goals are met
· Oversee and direct all aspects of marketing for the organization (e.g., brand, media relations, content marketing, product marketing, field marketing)
· Ensure marketing efforts are tracked, assessed, and adjusted to meet goals
· Track and manage marketing team budget; be a steward of organizational resources
Team leadership and management
· Motivate, mentor, and develop the existing team successfully
· Foster team cohesion and intra-team communication
· Identify opportunities for professional growth for marketing team members
Organizational strategy and cross-team collaboration
· Serve as a member of the 6-person senior leadership team
· Represent marketing needs in strategic direction setting for the organization
· Bring new solutions and concepts to existing problems
· Collaborate closely with peers around organizational challenges and opportunities associated with our plan to sunset
· 10+ years of progressive experience in marketing leadership
· Track record of successful execution of marketing campaigns to achieve results
· Experienced leader and manager; manager of managers, a plus
· Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written
· Strong analytical skills; experience using data to make decisions and motivate action
· Demonstrated experience leading in a start-up or entrepreneurial environment
· Comfortable with ambiguity and skilled at distilling big projects into their component parts
· Deep belief in the K-12 public education system and the power of technology to transform education for students
· Preferred: Experience in K-12 education
Minimum Education Required