2000 Florida Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
Title: Assistant Director, Marketing and Advertising
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Washington, DC
AGU is recognized as an innovator among scientific organizations and a world leader in advancing Earth and space science. We strive to lead – pioneering new ways to grow the exchange of scientific knowledge, encouraging the emergence of new and transdisciplinary fields of study, evolving our programs and operations as we anticipate the changing needs and expectations of our global community, and leveraging our science to help society.
Purpose of the Position
AGU is striving to make two big shifts: 1) evolving from a traditional function-based organization become a collaborative and deeply ‘matrixed’ organization, and 2) moving from a program-focused operational model to a user-focused service model with an emphasis on creating a consistent and unified experience of AGU for all stakeholders. The marketing team plays an essential role in driving and supporting these changes.
The Assistant Director, Marketing and Advertising is a highly-skilled and creative marketing and advertising strategist and leader with significant experience in modern digital marketing practices and a proven ability to clearly convey messages and to articulate complex information in multiple forums to a range of audiences. The Assistant Director is responsible for leading the development, execution and measurement of traditional and digital marketing and advertising campaigns that align with AGU’s holistic marketing strategy and consistent brand positioning.
AGU’s Workplace Values
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing, we achieve this by being honest and fair.
Our teams believe that with teamwork together we achieve more, we achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
What the Assistant Director, Marketing and Advertising does
Reporting to the Director, Marketing, Branding and Advertising, the Assistant Director serves as a key member of the department’s management team and manages a team of three marketing professionals. This role requires strong leadership and management skills, the ability to make nuanced decisions and exercise good judgment, and expertise in facilitating a collaborative work environment that focuses on accuracy and excellence in all deliverables.
· Leads the development, execution and assessment of integrated, relationship-based marketing campaigns – including automation campaigns – as well as advertising strategies. Ensures that marketing and advertising campaigns reflect and support AGU’s mission, vision, strategies, objectives and priorities, as well as builds word of mouth and a sense of community.
· Serves as a team leader and team member on cross-departmental projects and initiatives; ensures successful collaboration between the marketing team and the various departments and programs they support.
· Works in collaboration with strategic communications colleagues and others to develop effective messaging across channels and platforms.
· Serves as a key member of the digital transformation team, focusing on fully utilizing the power of AGU’s new digital platform.
· Develops and implements a cohesive strategy for AGU’s exhibit program.
- Monitors and investigates marketing trends, as well as trends in scientific publishing, meetings, association membership, and social media strategy in order to recommend strategy adjustments as needed. Works to educate the marketing team and others on the AGU staff on these trends and their potential impact.
· Develops, mentors, and hires marketing department staff.
· Develops the annual budget for review by the Director, Marketing, Branding and Advertising. Approves marketing expenditures and tracks the budget.
· Other duties as assigned.
What the Assistant Director, Marketing and Advertising brings to the team
· 10+ years with Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Experience leading/managing a marketing team is required.
· Experience in a membership association/not-for-profit and/or scientific or technical organization preferred.
· Experience managing budgets.
· Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills; talented at building consensus and leading cross-functional work teams.
· Demonstrated ability to lead multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, as well as to set/balance priorities in an agile manner to address constantly evolving requirements.
· Strong organizational skills, as well as attention to detail and ability to manage complexity.
· Expertise in integrated, user-focused marketing strategy, including marketing automation.
· Strong verbal and written communications skills, including message development and copywriting, as well as demonstrated ability to convey ideas across channels and platforms.
· Significant experience leading an advertising sales program, including managing relationships with outside partners on execution.
· Experience managing an exhibits program to target a variety of industry events.
· Knowledge of standard software programs (including Microsoft Office), association management systems (knowledge of NetForum a plus), content management systems (such as Word Press), and a variety of social media channels and management platforms (including Hootsuite), required. Knowledge of Google Analytics, email management programs (such as Real Magnet), enterprise platforms (such as SiteCore), and marketing automation strategies.
· Strong knowledge of measuring work performance and implementing improvement strategies to achieve greater success.
· Excellent mentoring skills: demonstrated track record of training, coaching and developing staff.
· Confidence and motivation to operate with independence and to take part in senior leadership efforts as needed.
· Must be capable of exercising highest level of discretion on both internal and external confidential matters.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume to
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required