5350 Crenshaw Blvd
The LA Black Worker Center (LABWC) seeks a Community Organizer who is ready to make history while working with the first Black Worker Center in California, an emerging lead voice on Black work and economic justice. The community organizer will help build and sustain the membership base of the LABWC. Engage workers and community allies in winning cutting-edge campaigns. Ideal candidates must possess a demonstrated commitment to self-determination for the Black community and social change strategies of union and grassroots community organizing. The community organizer reports to the Sr. Lead Organizer. Candidates must be able to empathize and build relationships with Black workers in various industries.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recruitment and Retention of existing members into the leadership ladder through building durable and strong relationship with members, activists and leaders; planning and organizing membership activities; coordinates member phone tree to retain and activate new members; consistently involving workers and supporters in the organization and increasing their commitment; activating members to lead work on Action Subcommittees.
- Development and training of grassroots leaders to: increase skills and effectiveness in building the organization, taking on leadership roles and taking action; implement LABWC leadership ladder to provide opportunities for growth and development; supports the political education of leaders through 1 on 1s.
- Supports development and implementation of direct action campaigns through ensuring members are engaged in campaign tactics and activities as evidenced through strong member mobilization and leadership in campaigns.
- Administration and planning, including tracking organizing plans and results; preparation of written reports, meeting summaries, and related materials as required.
- Development of outreach and educational materials such as raps, flyers, and action cards.
- Fundraising: Assist organization in growing its dues-paying membership and supports fundraising events.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic computer skills: (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.)
- Demonstrated leadership experience including facilitation of meetings, trainings, events.
- Ability to work well with a team and motivate others to take action.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage time efficiently.
- Knowledge of issues affecting unemployed and underemployed Black workers, poor and working class communities, and of the Los Angeles labor movement a plus!
- Strong commitment to racial justice, workers’ rights, and Black community empowerment.
- Flexible work schedule, some evenings and weekends as needed.
- Valid CA driver’s license, access to a car for work related travel.
LABWC offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, employee assistance program, flexible spending account, and retirement plans with matching and employer contributions!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
E-mail cover letter and resume, add “Community Organizer” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Applicants who meets the minimum qualifications will receive a response.
LABWC, a project of Community Partners® is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. In addition, the organization will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring. The LABWC is also an affirmative action employer. People of color, women, and LGBTQ are strongly encouraged to apply.