Technical Advisor - Women in Apprenticeships & Non-Traditional Jobs
- Job posted by Vermont Works for Women
Details: Competitive salary commensurate with experience
32A Malletts Bay Avenue
Vermont Works for Women (VWW) is growing and seeks dynamic new team members to implement a program to support women’s entry into apprenticeships and non-traditional occupations. The Technical Advisor is a one-year grant funded position with high likelihood of continuation as a grant-funded or core-funded positions. The Technical Advisor is responsible for working directly with program partners and participants to: 1) support recruitment and retention of female participants in training programs and 2) provide technical assistance to training providers, union members, and potential employers to improve the educational and employment environment to foster success of women in non-traditional occupations.
1. Help build a cohesive team and participate in development of VWW and partner work plans to meet grant objectives.
2. Work with partners to develop and implement creative recruitment strategies for female participation in training programs and apprenticeships
3. Conduct review of available resources and materials to support recruitment of female participants, support female retention in the programs, and support educators and potential employers to better meet the needs of female employees. Develop new materials as necessary.
4. Work with current VWW staff to identify existing training curricula that can be used/modified to support the program.
5. Deliver training to potential employees, unions and training partners on issues related to women’s recruitment and retention, improving workplace gender sensitivity, and inclusive HR policies and practices
6. Develop materials and deliver training to individual participants on life-skills and transferable soft skills to enhance success in training programs and job placement
7. Continuously monitor participant needs to ensure full participation and success in the program; develop response strategies to emerging barriers and challenges to participants’ success
8. Work with program partners to develop a mentoring program for individual participants as well as a peer to peer support network
9. Support the creation and a Business Peer Exchange with manufacturing partners in Franklin County to provide information and share best practices around recruitment and retention of women in manufacturing
10. Work with current VWW staff and local high schools to develop a job shadow program
11. Assist the Program Manger to develop and roll out a marketing campaign for employers, participants, and partners around the project.
1. Model exemplary leadership skills and behaviors to program participants and staff
2. Represents VWW programs to public, Board, and others stakeholders as necessary
3. Promotes VWW programs and services in the community
4. Other job-related duties as assigned
Education & experience:
· Bachelor’s degree or relevant work experience in gender issues, workforce development, human resource management and/or developing and delivering training and technical assistance
· 3+ years’ experience delivering community based programs
· Experience with workforce development, case management, skilled trades, or working with women with barriers to employment preferred
· Experience developing and delivering training materials
· Experience implementing U.S. government-funded program a plus but not required
· An intelligent and articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization and possesses excellent communication skills
· Proficient using basic data management software and Microsoft Office programs.
Success factors (i.e. personal characteristics that contribute to excelling in position):
· Strong commitment to and enthusiasm for VWW’s mission to help girls and women recognize their potential and explore, pursue and exceed in work that leads to economic independence.
· Models exemplary professional skills and behaviors to program participants and staff
· Excellent interpersonal and public-speaking skills
· Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
· Experience collaborating as part of a dynamic team
· Ability to multi-task, set priorities, and accomplish goals
· A sense of humor, tact and diplomacy
· A can-do attitude concerning all-things technology related
Commitment to the value of diversity
Competitive benefits package, including health, dental and 40(k) contribution
Level of Language Proficiency
Ability to communicate proficiently in English, written and oral
Minimum Education Required