Development and Communications Associate aka “Communicator in Chief”
- Job posted by Daraja Education Fund
4380 Redwood Highway
The Daraja Education Fund (DEF) is a US 501(c)3 organization located in Marin County, California with a mission to advocate for and advance accessible quality education especially for girls living in poverty in developing countries.
DEF’s first and primary project is funding the nine-year-old Daraja Academy, a boarding high school for girls from poverty in Kenya. With its innovative focus on academics, leadership and women’s empowerment, Daraja educates the whole student. Daraja ranks first in the District and in the top 10% of private schools in Kenya. To date, the program currently serves 150 students and has been financially supported by a national (US) and international network of individuals and enthusiastic volunteers. Daraja has now graduated 151 students over 80% of whom have qualified for college and who are active in their communities.
The Development and Communications Associate will report to the Founders and is responsible for supporting the fundraising and donor relations of the Daraja Education Fund, including the following:
- Manage DEF and Daraja Academy’s social media presence, blogs, and website
- Create DEF communications materials, newsletters, promotional brochures, and event collateral
- Coordinate the public relations and marketing of events, activities, and fundraisers
- Manage the Campus Communications Intern program; including the hiring process, weekly Skype meetings, and task distribution
- Oversee and publish the student newspaper, and develop the curriculum for the weekly journalism meetings on campus
- Manage crowd source funding and online fundraising campaigns
- Participate in the Fundraising Committee and contribute to the fundraising planning
- Assist in planning and execution of DEF events
- Oversee and support the fundraising activities of High School Clubs
- Coordinate the Student Sponsorship communications (tri-annual letters between sponsors and students), invoicing and payment follow up
- Assist in administrative tasks like donation processing, and data cleaning activities
- Assist the Directors with special projects as needed
This is a full time benefited position based in our San Rafael office and may require occasional weekend or evening hours.
- Demonstrated passion for girls/women’s empowerment
- A great writer and digital savvy
- Creative, self-motivated, and willing to take initiative
- Able to work independently and as a member of a team
- Genuine and warm demeanor with donors and other stakeholders.
- Experience in fundraising preferred, i.e. direct donor solicitation, grants, annual campaigns, events, or research
- Experience with Wordpress, Indesign, Photoshop, Canva, and CRM highly desirable
Full Time, benefited, 2 weeks vacation, holidays, and one trip to Kenya per year
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send cover letter, resume, and sample blog post.
Sample blog post instructions: Please write 250-500 words on the following subject: The biggest mistakes in non-profit marketing: How words and images can hurt the communities they mean to serve.