BACKGROUND: Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is a global leader in the protection of unaccompanied refugee and migrant children. Launched in 2008, KIND champions a world in which every child’s rights and well-being are protected throughout their journey to safety. KIND has provided nearly 18,000 children with high quality representation in their immigration proceedings by training more than 41,000 attorneys and legal staff and cultivating partnerships with over 600 law firms, corporate legal departments, law schools, and bar associations across the country. While KIND offices are primarily located in the United States, KIND also works to develop pro bono initiatives with partners in the United Kingdom and Europe and is announcing plans for a Mexico initiative.
KIND’s social services program ensures that migrant and refugee children – who have often endured trauma – receive counseling, educational support, medical care and other comprehensive services.
To address the root causes of child migration from Central America and strengthen protection of unaccompanied children, KIND advocates for policy changes and educates lawmakers, the media, and the broader public on the conditions that drive these children to flee their home countries. KIND supports children returning to their home countries by connecting them to essential support services and sponsors gender-based violence prevention programs in Central America to protect children in countries of origin and transit.
KIND is embarking on a new initiative in Mexico to expand its ability to advocate for and develop regional solutions that address the particular vulnerabilities of unaccompanied children seeking protection, whether in Mexico or the United States. The KIND Mexico initiative will work across KIND’s legal, policy, and regional program departments to increase legal orientations for unaccompanied children; to monitor conditions for unaccompanied children seeking access to protection at the border; to provide technical assistance and training to policymakers, child welfare officials, and pro bono attorneys; and to work collaboratively with Mexican and Central American partners in the public and non-profit sectors to develop a strong platform for protecting the rights of unaccompanied children across the region.
May be responsible for one or more of the following:
• Develop and maintain a knowledge base of social services available to clients in assigned work areas
• Develop relationships with community coalitions in areas of high client concentration
• Establish working relationships and partnerships with local service providers and administrators in each service area to enhance the referral process
• Conduct assessments of referred clients, including the larger context in which the child is living, identifying needs, barriers and safety concerns
• Maintain documentation regarding attempts to access services and service delivery
• Track and report client data, outreach actions and outcomes, and general information for program evaluation, performance quality, and development purposes
• Complete referrals to services, assist families in completing intake requirements for these services, and follow up as necessary
• Assist KIND legal staff on working with families in crisis and transition
• Work with other KIND Social Services Coordinators nationally to develop best practices, protocols, and provide training and support on relevant topics for KIND staff
• Conduct trainings to support pro bono attorneys and for community social providers
• Working closely with other legal services providers, law firms, corporations, and law schools in relevant jurisdiction(s) to identify and support resource-sharing amongst these partner agencies
• Supervise interns and volunteers
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in related field, preferably in Social Work, Counseling, or related specialty. Master’s degree in Social Work or advanced degree in similar field strongly preferred.
• 2+ years’ experience working with children, preferably unaccompanied minors, immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma
• Or any similar combination of education and experience
• Fluency in English and Spanish, spoken and written
• A strong record of intercultural responsiveness, sensitivity and awareness, and cross-cultural communication skills
• Ability to work collaboratively
• Experience working with attorneys, law firms, or other legal service providers preferred
• Strong record of intercultural responsiveness, sensitivity and awareness, and cross-cultural communication skills
• Experience working with a diverse team of social service providers and advocating on behalf of clients
• Ability to effectively conduct trainings to diverse audiences in person and virtually, including attorney trainings and Know Your Rights presentations for child clients
• Familiarity or ability to work with adult immigrant caretakers, or training in trauma-informed parenting
• Ability to travel as assigned
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
• Ability to work within an office environment, have regular interaction via telephone, teleconference, IM and email with KIND’s team and have in-person meetings with clients
BACKGROUND: Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is a global leader in the protection of unaccompanied refugee and migrant children. Launched in 2008, KIND champions a world in which every child’s rights and well-being are protected throughout…
Fluent in Spanish
Fluent in Spanish
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, salary range requirements, writing sample, and three references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/join-the-team/
Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible, and not later than the posted deadline. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work.
The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, salary range requirements, writing sample, and three references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org…